Had to change the filter, now cloudiness won't go away!

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by AnneRose, Jul 1, 2016.

1. AnneRose

AnneRose Valued Member Member

Hey everyone,

So for a week or so my tank has been cloudy and I thought maybe the filter pad wasn't good enough so I replaced it with three types of filter media that I squeezed in the filter. The water had been cycled for like months since it's water from the fish pond in the backyard (Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: <10), so I thought changing the filter stuff wouldn't be that bad.

A few days after changing the filter stuff the water is getting cloudier and cloudier, but the parameters remain unchanged. If it's a bacterial bloom, is it dangerous for my guppies and cory cats? Also, should I be doing frequent water changes?

IMG_3068.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

So when you changed your filter media, you removed all of the beneficial bacteria. You'll need to recycle your tank.

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. It'll go away on it's own.

Beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column, so by adding pond water to the tank, you only added waste and old water to the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    AnneRose

Ahhhh I see... Should I do frequent water changes or I just let it settle on its own?

4. TexasDomer

Water changes make bacterial blooms worse. It should clear in a few days.

You should also keep an eye on your water parameters though. If the ammonia or nitrites get above 0.25 ppm, do a water changes to bring them back down. This takes precedence over the bacterial bloom.

5. OP
    OP
    AnneRose

Oh thank you so much for the help!

6. f

fishchick Valued Member Member

I also had issues with cloudiness , mine was ok have had a cloudy tank for two week ammonia went from.50 to .25 ppm have just fed less and added little filter water

7. f

fishchick Valued Member Member

My tank is clear now , only feed my 3 angels food at night

8. TexasDomer

Having 3 angels is a recipe for disaster. If you want to start your own thread, we can help :)

And feeding at night vs day won't affect your tank cloudiness. Overfeeding can cause a bloom though.

9. OP
    OP
    AnneRose

Alright so I thought I'd update you all, seems like the bacterial bloom has settled after 5 days. I came back home from a camping trip and had my landlord feed the fish and test for ammonia and when I came back all the cloudiness was gone and the tank is now crystal clear! Only downside, and I'm very sad, one of my guppies got stuck in the filter and I don't know how long he's been stuck. I get him out of it and now he's swimming like he's drunk or something, I really hope he's gonna survive, looks like he's paralyzed on one side How could this happen :'(

[​IMG]

10. TexasDomer

Healthy fish don't usually get sucked into filters, so I'd be inclined to think something was wrong with him before.

What are your water parameters now (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

11. OP
    OP
    AnneRose

Well I just tested it again and apparently I was wrong, there is a bit of ammonia in there. Under 0.25 but still. No nitrites and about 5 nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice