Had Aquarium For Years. Just Started Really Learning 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by CarolAnne, Aug 17, 2019.

1. CarolAnne

CarolAnneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Everyone!
    Someone was giving a 55 gallon aquarium free years ago. I had lots going on in my life so I did the basics, but not much more. I took the water to my local fish store once in a while to test. Did water changes when I remembered etc.

My fish recently started getting sick. I got a master test kit, realized we crashed the nitrogen cycle and have now been learning everything I can.

I think we are back on track. (I hope)
    I’m now here to learn everything I can so I can keep the remaining fish healthy and hopefully eventually add to their numbers.

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +86
    Experience:
    1 year
    Welcome. I'm new here myself but I've found this community to be much more friendly than most. I hope you enjoy it and your fish do well.

3. OP
    OP
    CarolAnne

Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks!
    I’m learning a lot.
    My fish are all ready acting a lot better with the addition of SeaChem prime.
    Set up a hospital tank for sickest fish.
    Crossing my fingers

4. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello and welcome to Fishlore! Sounds like you have a good plan in place now to get everything back onto track. Out of curiosity what fish are you keeping in your tank? We're always curious to people's different combinations and what has worked for them etc

5. OP
    OP
    CarolAnne

Ratings:
    +16
    I have
    2 plecos
    3 albino Cory’s
    2 glo fish (if I can save Pinkie)
    And various tetras.
    Bleeding heart, cardinal, black fin and one kind I don’t remember the name of). I
    I had some dwarf gouramis, but I caught one eating my cardinal tetras so I didn’t replace them when they died.
    I go mostly for peaceful community fish that all get along.

6. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah the dwarf Gouramis are rather aggressive aren't they. How do your Plecos get on together? It sounds like a nice peaceful and interactive community you have there

7. OP
    OP
    CarolAnne

Ratings:
    +16
    I actually realized the tetras I don’t know the name of may actually be rasboras. I’ll have to took them up. I really liked the dwarf gouramis, but yeah, not once I realized where all the neons and cardinals were disappearing too. The tank came with danios and I think a couple of tetras (its been so long ago). So I tried hard to only buy fish that would get along.
    The plecos seem to do ok together. Kind of ignore eachother.

Become a Fishlore Member