Ha, That's A New One For My Babies!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Ferretlady, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Ferretlady

FerretladyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +183
    Experience:
    3 years
    Water change day. When it was refilled, I was about to pull the end of the python back out of the water, when I saw something on the hose --- one of my girls deposited a clutch of EGGS right on the python hose!!

I thought she was acting a bit 'frisky' this morning, though I didn't see her actually carrying any eggs yet when I was watching her....

I've found eggs in odd places once in a while before, but this is a first! Silly girl!

2. OP
    OP
    Ferretlady

Ratings:
    +183
    Experience:
    3 years
    Holy moly ---- just in the time that I was in here posting my message -- there are two MORE small bunches of eggs on the hose now! (I didn't pull it out before - I saw the eggs & it tickled me so much, I had to come share w/ other cory fans... ) I better get that hose out of there before she covers it with eggs!!! hahahaha Probably about 30-40 eggs on it now....

3. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Wow! What kind of cory? How big a tank? Do you have a breeding tank set up? Put the hose in it

4. OP
    OP
    Ferretlady

Ratings:
    +183
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have green and albino aeneus cory. It seems, from what I've read here from other cory keepers, that possibly the aeneus are more prolific breeders than some of the other cory species? At any rate, mine spawn quite frequently & on a regular ongoing basis. I just found it cute & amusing, though, that she put her eggs on the python hose!

If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out my photo in this thread - and the photo shows only one part of the eggs that I had that day! I'll admit, that day was a bit extraordinary - usually I'll find bunches of eggs about 1/2, to 2/3 that size. https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/eggs-how-to-keep-population-in-check.397839/

I only have one 29 gallon tank, and don't really have room to set up another decent-sized tank right now. I wish I had space to have a dozen *large* tanks & I'd have a 150 cories spread out between them!

My babies spawned for the first time just 3 weeks after I got them in March of last year, and have been at it ever since LOL. I had the most *wonderful* experiences raising up the fry 3 or 4 different times, but by the last time around, I had a really hard time finding homes for the little ones, so I stopped saving the eggs. (No local store to take them, no nearby fish club, etc... ) I'd found homes for the first bunches of babies via Craigslist, but last time around, it took forever to find people who wanted them & I had a couple rather icky experiences with a few people who responded to the ad, so I gave up on using Craigslist for rehoming....

So.... sadly, these days, I just remove eggs when they show up. I usually leave them in the tank the first day, and some will get eaten - then I remove the remaining eggs before they can hatch. I feel like breaking down crying every time I have to do that, but I don't have the means of providing properly for dozens & dozens of corys, and without being reasonably sure of being able to get them into good homes, it's better that I just get rid of the eggs before they hatch, than to have them come to harm or end up in poor conditions later.... it breaks my heart every time though!

SOMEDAY, I hope to move from where I'm at now, and hopefully have room to keep more of them myself, and hopefully have a *good* fishstore nearby who would take in "extra babies" -- it was SO wonderful raising up the little ones! I'd love to do that over & over, if only I had a good place for them to go, once they were old enough...

5. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    OMG ALL. THOSE. EGGS. That's incredible! I totally understand the not having room thing though. My girl has spawned 3 times. The first time I saved as many eggs as I could. About 30 hatched, but I'm down to around 13 a month later. Kinda depressing, I feel like a crummy fish mom but by the same token, I really can't house all of them, and yeah, I'd be nervous giving them to strangers.

The other two spawns I left the eggs up to nature and as far as I can see, only one baby survived. I have 3 rasboras in there though, and they're savages. The little bastards were chasing the fry tonight at dinnertime, so it's a day by day thing.

I find it so stressful raising fry, I don't think I'd ever do it again, frankly.

Become a Fishlore Member