H. Gourami: do i have two boys or one of each?

Chris1212

First pic is of the male I have in my tank. Second and third pics (bad quality) are my new fish in qt. Any idea if the new one is a male or female?

20210915_131716.jpg
20211018_130540.jpg
20211018_125903.jpg

Fishstery

It's too hard to tell unless you can get a better more clear picture of the finnage. Most likely it's a male. 95% of the honey gouramis that are sold are males because they have better coloration. Occasionally a female will slip into the orders but trying to get a female honey gourami at a fish store is like finding a needle in a haystack. Very unlikely unless they are selling pairs.

Chris1212

That's what I figured. Hopefully they get along.

Fishstery

That's what I figured. Hopefully they get along.
They should given they have enough space and plants. All of my male honey gouramis got along quite fine other than typical social behavior. I kept anywhere from 3-5 together at one time. The issues came along when I acquired a male wild type. He was very feisty and did not appreciate other gouramis around thus the gourami gang had to disband lol. My wild type was also the only gourami I ever had that spit water. I miss having him around quite a bit!

ProudPapa

It's too hard to tell unless you can get a better more clear picture of the finnage. Most likely it's a male. 95% of the honey gouramis that are sold are males because they have better coloration. Occasionally a female will slip into the orders but trying to get a female honey gourami at a fish store is like finding a needle in a haystack. Very unlikely unless they are selling pairs.

Are you sure about that? I understand it's true for dwarf gouramis (at least in the US), but this is the first I've heard of it being the case for honey gouramis.

jinjerJOSH22

Like JettsPapa said, this is only true for Dwarfs. Gold Honeys are very similar in colour make no sense to seperate them it would be a lot of unnecessary work.
Photo isn't great but it looks to have orange trims on the dorsal and analfins which would indicate a female.
Males have yellow trims.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
Masspanic
Replies
Views
Chris1212