Guys Would This Be Considered An Okay Tank

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're asking the question, but I'm pretty sure you know the answer.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe in a pinch it may work, but otherwise a larger tank would be highly (cant stress how highly!) recommended.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would never buy such a tank. Way too small. Too hard to maintain and not a nice environment for fish to live in.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would suggest something that can take a hit and something that is not aggressive towards it. Do you see these muscles?

I mean sure, that guy looks like he needs to be kept alone or with very select tankmates, but I think that it varies a lot depending on the duck. I mean, just look at this guy. Does he look like he's about to kill tankmates? No, I'd say not. My recommendation would be to test them carefully with tankmates to see how they act. I'd say a 5 gallon for a pair, a 10 gallon if you want to try it with tankmates. Also, make sure you're careful, the males can be somewhat aggressive, you might want to try keeping a trio, with a 1 male to 2 female ratio.

Edit: I also wanted to add that you should be careful, they have rather large mouths, so make sure you get fish that don't fit in their mouths, even the most peaceful duck will eat a fish that fits in its mouth.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As funny as the rubber duck thing is..... @Orangey8895 Yes you can put some platty's with a Betta, but not in a small tank like that. A 20 long would be a great place to start
Oh, I thought that OP was asking if the tank of the size in the picture would be alright for fish.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I mean sure, that guy looks like he needs to be kept alone or with very select tankmates, but I think that it varies a lot depending on the duck. I mean, just look at this guy. Does he look like he's about to kill tankmates? No, I'd say not. My recommendation would be to test them carefully with tankmates to see how they act. I'd say a 5 gallon for a pair, a 10 gallon if you want to try it with tankmates. Also, make sure you're careful, the males can be somewhat aggressive, you might want to try keeping a trio, with a 1 male to 2 female ratio.

Edit: I also wanted to add that you should be careful, they have rather large mouths, so make sure you get fish that don't fit in their mouths, even the most peaceful duck will eat a fish that fits in its mouth.
I think these should be fine, but I would watch out because they like to rule the tank.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, I thought that OP was asking if the tank of the size in the picture would be alright for fish.
I think you're right about that, that's why I said that small of a tank wouldn't work

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
But would a swole duck live comfortably in a 1 gallon bowl without any filtration and heating?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom