Question Guys, I've Got A Big Problem, What Should I Do?

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I need some help in deciding what I should do in my current tank situation. All of my tanks are a mess right now.

My Tanks:
20G Long (30x12x12): 2 M + F convict cichlids (I thought I had two males in here but it turned out the one tricked me with its barely red stomach)

45G (30x12x36 I think, not sure on height): 2 8-9In Comet Goldfish 2 sm 3in comet goldfish, 1 pearl gourami, 15 Banded Burmese Border Loaches (kubata loaches), 10 Kuhlie loaches, 2 M bristlenose pleco, 1 clown pleco, 1 otocinclus, 3 female convict cichlids, 2 Juvinile gold severum, 2 M + F kribensis...

75G (48x18x24): 1 10-11In Tiger Oscar, 1 8In Common pleco, 1 8In Sailfin Pleco, 1 6In Turquoise/Green severum, 2 4In Jelly Bean Parrots, 1 Firemouth Meeki, 3 3In Female convicts, 1 8In Ornate Bichir....and 1 6In Raphael Catfish.

The Big problems: The goldfish in my 45G need way more swimming space. The Oscar in my 75G has been harassing my severum for the past month, I've got breeding convicts out the wazoo that I don't want (and just need to get rid of). My ornate bichir will eventually need a 180 to accommodate his max size, same with my (total of 3 technically) Severum. My Large common and large sailfin fight with one another (its the sailfin aggressing the common but still, those need separated).

Yes, I know my tanks are 1 Overstocked and 2 Totally not compatible, at least in the 45G. I do 50% weekly waterchanges on all of my tanks, please don't berate me on my stocking, the 45G is a mis-match of fish that I've had in community tanks over the years (except for the kubata's, those were deliberate additions to the 45...) and the goldfish were my 'cycling fish' from almost 4yrs ago. -I'm trying to fix it.

Anyway, I can't decide on what I should do...My Brain knows what I need to do but my heart doesn't want to listen and I need someone who's got no loving bias towards these fish to tell me what I need to do.

In my head my options are:
Get bigger tanks and a pond to accommodate all of my larger species.
Or
Donate my big guys and randoms (the goldfish, my oscar, the convicts) to my LFS [where I work] and hope they find good homes.

The problem I keep running into with these options is 1.) I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out the amount of money that would really require. and 2.) I'm worried someone is going to see my huge, beautiful, pristine Oscar and throw him into a 55G tank because they're...for lack of a better word, silly. Or feed my large goldfish off to their turtle or caimen, this list goes on.

I've got a 760$ initial budget for a tank (s). -this is the amount I could spend without putting myself into any debt, I'm prepped to shell out about 400$ on all the equipment I would need...I've got a large lee-way on my credit card but I'm really trying to keep it that way...

Currently at our store, we're selling 75G tank combos (glass canopy, led light, tank, and stand) for 299.99. You can't beat that price.

We ALSO have 120G XH tanks on a similar sale for 695.99.

If I got rid of all of my convicts today, I'd have an empty 20L for some of the community fish in the 45...but Its not big enough for all of em...

How would you guys organize this mess? Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I start by considering tank sizes for all of my fish and then look at the prices, or should I start with organizing the fish, Then look at tank sizes and consider prices. I just don't even know where to start...

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WIth respect, are your oscars, severum, parrots, bichir any better off all in your 75 than they would be in a 55 somewhere? One of the hardest things in this hobby full of pitfalls is following our own advice. I'm the worst for it, you can ask SeanyBaggs123 . I went and bought an oscar for a 75, knowing in my heart it wasn't going to be enough. It's the grownup version of the county fair goldfish. He's at my LFS now looking for a new home...he's been there a month now.
Here's what I would do:
Donate the oscar, common pleco, bichir, severums and the shag-happy convicts to the store. Put the goldies in the 75 or get a stock tank pond and put them in there. Then make what you can fit properly into the 45 and 20. Just seems like you've got too much on your plate to do anything else responsibly without buying that 180.
I hope you can get it sorted out. I had to face similar music lately when I took my reef tank down. I loved every organism in it, but I wasn't able to care for it like it should be anymore, so I had to do it.

Minxxy

Well Known
Reaction score
Ok its gonna be hard but my suggestion would be..pick a COUPLE fish you can't part with then set those few up properly and donate the rest.
Its better IMO to have a few housed properly and happy then have every fish we like living in a stressed situation. You have 700 to play with whom can you properly and happily home with that.
That's where I would start

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Then I'll buy the 180. That mentioned 760$ is in store credit that's continuously compounding (if I waited another year I'd have maybe 1.3k in store credit), ive got a few grand on my card I could put into this, I'm just cringing at the thought of doing that but if that's the only way to keep what I want to keep I'll do it. I'm going to be purchasing another, larger tank. That's a done deal. I've got a bit more than just 700$ to play with....the 700$ would be me not spending a dime...

The question is what size and what for. The first fish I would get rid of would be the goldfish. The only reason I still have them is because I know they're considered garbage feeder fish and I haven't treated them as feeder fish. I don't even like goldfish....lol.

I'm willing to get rid of my goldfish, the oscar (though I really don't want to get rid of him), the convicts and some of the random community fish in the 45. I would get rid of my jelly bean parrots but my mom picked them out and they're kinda 'her' fish in my tank. So those gotta stay. I was planning on seperating my plecos between the current 75 (the sailfin) and putting the common in the other tank (hopefully bigger than 75)...

I had considered purchasing both the 75 and the 120XH and putting the oscar alone in the 75 and dividing the larger species into the 120 (like the severum and the bichir for now). But idk if that's the best option to follow. I could part with my firemouth, He's little for all the fish I have in my tank, he's pretty too.

I don't mean to...ask for advice and then shoot down everyones advice. I really appreciate everyone helping. This is the argument my brain and my heart have. My brain says get rid of all of them, my heart says I love them too much to do that.

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just...wanna...We had an oscar donated to our store about a month ago. He was 5yrs old and kept in a 55G all his life. This fish was shaped like the letter C. Its bottom jaw jutted out farther than its top, its face was rounded obviously deformed, its spine was severely deformed, so much so that the lateral line down the side of the fish was broken and misplaced at the base of the tail. And the people who brought him in didn't know the wiser....so...with all respect yes...my oscar is better off in my care in a 75G than in someone else care...who could potentially take him home to a smaller tank than what I had him in. I get where you're coming from, the 75G IS way too small for my oscar. But at least I'm aware of this and am doing everything I know to do to help it.....I'm really not sure the home he'd go to would do the same and that's the problem I've had with rehoming him. I've seen way too much dumb sh** regarding fish at my store that we, as associates, have 0 control over.

And at our store, we have people calling in LOOKING for large cichlids...It makes me nervous.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishGirl38 said:
Then I'll buy the 180. That mentioned 760$ is in store credit that's continuously compounding (if I waited another year I'd have maybe 1.3k in store credit), ive got a few grand on my card I could put into this, I'm just cringing at the thought of doing that but if that's the only way to keep what I want to keep I'll do it. I'm going to be purchasing another, larger tank. That's a done deal. I've got a bit more than just 700$ to play with....the 700$ would be me not spending a dime...

The question is what size and what for. The first fish I would get rid of would be the goldfish. The only reason I still have them is because I know they're considered garbage feeder fish and I haven't treated them as feeder fish. I don't even like goldfish....lol.

I'm willing to get rid of my goldfish, the oscar (though I really don't want to get rid of him), the convicts and some of the random community fish in the 45. I would get rid of my jelly bean parrots but my mom picked them out and they're kinda 'her' fish in my tank. So those gotta stay. I was planning on seperating my plecos between the current 75 (the sailfin) and putting the common in the other tank (hopefully bigger than 75)...

I had considered purchasing both the 75 and the 120XH and putting the oscar alone in the 75 and dividing the larger species into the 120 (like the severum and the bichir for now). But idk if that's the best option to follow. I could part with my firemouth, He's little for all the fish I have in my tank, he's pretty too.

I don't mean to...ask for advice and then shoot down everyones advice. I really appreciate everyone helping. This is the argument my brain and my heart have. My brain says get rid of all of them, my heart says I love them too much to do that.
That is cool that you can get that tank on store credit! You don't hurt my feelings a bit making your own decision, and it sounds like a fair one. I know sometimes I ask advice just to help talk out what I already know. I know you care very much for all your fish!!
Just for the record, I bet if you got a little porch pond and put the goldfish in it, you'd like them more. I am totally in love with my little pond.

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Magicpenny75 said:
That is cool that you can get that tank on store credit! You don't hurt my feelings a bit making your own decision, and it sounds like a fair one. I know sometimes I ask advice just to help talk out what I already know. I know you care very much for all your fish!!
Just for the record, I bet if you got a little porch pond and put the goldfish in it, you'd like them more. I am totally in love with my little pond.
I'm not trying to argue or be rude so excuse any...erm...attitude I suppose, in my tone. I'm not trying to be that way but yes, I am passionate about my fish. I agree with you in the pond thing. I'm sure I would enjoy having a pond, but its already june...I'm not sure I'd have enough time to get the pond dug, lined, shelved, and pumping before the weather breaks again and they go into colder water.

I just, am trying to divide them out, not totally rid myself of them and when I was advised to get rid of all of my prized fish and keep the goldfish, that hurt a bit...

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was never trying to hurt anyones feelings, or be rude. I was just trying to say that I don't ONLY have that amount to play with and I'm trying to buy a 180 with that....(I really didn't want to even mention the store credit thing but I felt like that'd be the best for understanding)...I'm not trying to make cake out of wheat and sugar was all I was trying to get across....I was hoping someone would be able to say....for example.

"You could put the ****, ****, and **** in a ***** size tank, then buy a **** size tank and put ****, ****, xx in there. kind of thing....Was looking for other tank size options that I could look into getting...

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no attitude was assumed and no offense was meant on my part either. All of that was said with a smile and affection. I've read most of your posts on people's questions and you know your stuff and I can tell you really care. My exclamation points were intended as enthusiasm, not being emphatic. All good I'm in a different place than you mentally and if I were in your shoes I would need to downsize a lot...I couldn't handle that load and would never add another tank myself. But like I said, I'm coming from a different place along life's journey. I'm an old lady who is tired of spending all day dealing with the excrement of other beings.
I think you are awesome and I wish I could do what you are doing.

JessicaSwanlake

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishGirl38 said:

Maybe it would help if you listed all of the fish you want to keep/can't possibly part with and then all of the fish you don't mind parting with (like the goldfish and the convicts you mentioned). I'm sure with all of the experience on this forum the community can help you figure it out. Is buying the 120 and a new 75 the plan? So you would have a 20gL, a 45g, 2x 75g, and a 120XH?

PS. I will add that I personally think your Oscar would be okay in a 75 gallon alone with enough filtration unless you are having constant water quality issues, your Oscar is having health issues, or if you think he/she is going to grow much more.

Minxxy

Well Known
Reaction score
I assumed you mentioned the 700 because that was your budget, not implying that you couldnt afford more, but that it was what you predetermined to be ok with spending.
You asked for opinions
Good luck with what ever you choose, I wish many happy fish years ahead

New Threads