Guys I really screwed up...

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Some context. When I started my 10 gallon tank I knew I wanted a wall of moss or susswassertang. Couldn't find susswassertang so I decided on a moss. I couldn't find a stainless steel wire mesh that I liked for it to grow on until a couple weeks ago. I cut it to size and put it in my tank a few days ago. One side fit well to the wall and the moss I have on it's own mesh. The other just got a bit curved and was hard to get it to stay in place, especially once my goby realized she could get back there and burrow around. This morning I woke up and found it falling out slightly, can't get moss to grow on that if it's not even in contact with it. So I went to move it back and realized I could pin it back using my algae magnet cleaner. Fantastic idea, pinned it back on. No sooner than I did this I realized a chilI rasbora was stuck back there only a few inches from the magnet. The magnet pulling the mesh to the side of the tank crushed the poor guy. He was still alive though but I think it broke his back. He couldn't swim directionally just kinda flailed about being carried by the current. He died a few minutes later. When I pulled him out I noticed he had some internal bleeding in the head. I feel so bad. I did a check to see if there was anything behind there and completely missed him. Killed one of my fishies :(

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't feel too bad, I've done the same while netting guppy fry. One fry got squished right in between the edge of the net and the glass. It startled me, but I gave the body to my betta for a snack. You live and you learn!

OP
R

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
SM1199 said:
Don't feel too bad, I've done the same while netting guppy fry. One fry got squished right in between the edge of the net and the glass. It startled me, but I gave the body to my betta for a snack. You live and you learn!
It's just unfortunate. It bothers me more that it was at my own hands and not natural. Now I'm down to 4 chilis. Gonna need to get a few more to get the school back up. Wish I fed him to my betta that would've been better than tossing him out.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rev said:
It's just unfortunate. It bothers me more that it was at my own hands and not natural. Now I'm down to 4 chilis. Gonna need to get a few more to get the school back up. Wish I fed him to my betta that would've been better than tossing him out.
Even a chilI might be a bit too big for a betta to eat. My guppy fry were only a couple days old, super tiny.

OP
R

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
SM1199 said:
Even a chilI might be a bit too big for a betta to eat. My guppy fry were only a couple days old, super tiny.
Oh my Betta has eaten shrimp bigger than the chilI he'd have done it.

OP
R

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Update: It actually got worse. I'm so mad at myself for being so stupid. I should've checked more carefully. I noticed a weird white blob pushing through the mesh between that and the moss on back. It was another chilI rasbora. The moss mat also fell forwards when I took away the magnet revealing a blue velvet shrimp that had been crushed between that and the glass. That could've either happened today or when I first put the mesh in a few days ago. There had been shrimp back there and I got them out but could've missed one. Or it very well could have happened today when I really squished it up against the glass. This has not been my day or week :( . Lost a berried shrimp earlier. Now another shrimp. And 2 chilI rasboras. I also lost a chilI the day after I got them. So now I'm down to 3 chilI rasboras and 3 blue velvet shrimp. Thankfully one of the shrimp is berried. But man this sucks. Very mad at myself for my extremely poor judgement this morning :mad:.

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s sucks but don’t feel bad it happens I was lazy once when draining and instead of putting a spray bar on the hose I left it open and sucked a baby angel into the tube. You made a mistake I was lazy that is heaps worse.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 said:
I have done this many times with my fry.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I killed 4 Cherry Barbs last week with ich medicine that was too old. Any seasoned fishkeeper that says they've never killed a fish due to a mistake on their part is either lying, or insanely lucky.

OP
R

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Littlebudda said:
It’s sucks but don’t feel bad it happens I was lazy once when draining and instead of putting a spray bar on the hose I left it open and sucked a baby angel into the tube. You made a mistake I was lazy that is heaps worse.
I also got lazy. Sorry about you baby angel :( Poor little guy

Deku-Cory said:
I killed 4 Cherry Barbs last week with ich medicine that was too old. Any seasoned fishkeeper that says they've never killed a fish due to a mistake on their part is either lying, or insanely lucky.
Oof that really sucks. And very fair. A lot of fishkeeping is making mistakes and learning from them.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SM1199 said:
One of my swordtail fry, cherry shrimp got stuck in the filter intake :(
The fry had several internal bleeding :'(

New Threads