Guys i have messed up and need advice asap

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
???. 3 month old tank with 5 cherry barbs, 4 w/c/minnows, happy healthy tank, only lost one fish.Went to lfs other day they said guppies would be ok. Came home read up on sites, MANY said cherry barbs and guppies ok tog, so went back and bought 3 males. All well first few days, then day before yesterday in the morn i found one had a few nips in tail, wondered if it had been got at or if fin rot well this morn found that one with lot of tail missing and one of the others a mess about to die! It did. I fished the injured one out, is amazingly still alive in water from the tank but in a bucket! Last one in tank was the fiesty one from the start, keeping eye on it at mo.

I rang a different fish shop that said CB's and gupies don't mix!! I messed up

Been 2nd tank hunting have seen a 7 gallon with heater and filter that i can aford in a hurry but how soon will i be able to put guppies in?

will use gravel and anything from established tank to help but WHAT SHOULD I DO?leave them to die or try and save them in a new tank?? i'm sure i haven't said all i need to!! i feel so bad that i have made them suffer!! :'(

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Take some of the filter media from you filter and stick it in the new filter, you can put some gravel in a sock and stick it in the new tank. Let the fish adjust like normal to the new tank and they should be ok, guppies are hardy fish too, you'd be surprised. Don't feel bad you live and you learn you didn't know.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TY ****

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tazmiche said:
I fished the injured one out, is amazingly still alive in water from the tank but in a bucket!
In my opinion, I would invest in a breeder net ,if they are available, to seperate the other guppy so the temp stays the same and there is no difference for him except he is in a nice sized net for a guppy. And just him in there untill he either recovers or is moved to the other tank. Hope this helped.
Tom

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
great will do first thing tomo!! Can you tell me anyone how long a new tank will take to cycle if you add established stuff??

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there, from what i have read here there is no set time. however your cycle time is greatly reduced. that much i do know! every tank is different. there are alot of outside factors that can come into it also. patience and constant testing will alway pay off in the long run. keeping it fishless if possible will also help. this reduces stress on the fish which the main aim IMO

good luck with the new tank
dazza

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you use a piece of the filter media from the cycled tank, the cycle is pretty much instant as the bacteria are already there and healthy.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup worked for me. instant cycle pretty much ;D

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my little blue ( his name! ) just died! Red died this morn and blacky/ink blot is in a makeshift breeder net!!! bag i got them in punched with lots of holes!!!

I really want to save him but can only afford 7 uk gallon tank tomo, will get one and give it my best shot!! All i can do i guess! THANK YOU for all advice, helps so much!! Feel terrible that my little thugs hurt the other 2 however i love my CB's v much!! First fish so have soft spot for the buggers!

It has only been 36 hours since i noticed a problem and with all your help i'm doing my best..............fingers crossed for Black ink !!!!! :-\

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
may i just say an extra ty, i posted a uk site too as thought we are all on same time zone......however you guys across the globe have answered and helped me, not uk!!! THANK YOU!!!!! means alot! x

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well i've done all advised and he is in a bag hanging to acclimatise. I think/hope i've done all i can to save him!! A new tank etc to try and save a £1:85 fish!!!

He jumped out of bag into main tank this afternoon but luckily wasn't attacked so time for freedom! Wish HIM and me luck!!! ??? :-[ :-\

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GOOD LUCK, hope all goes well

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well at mo he is playing in the filter stream as he loved to in other tank!!! I love this little one he has character, he's swimming about calmly then off to his new water park in the corner!!! Seems happy!!! Fingers crossed! looks awful to see him alone! Is only a 20L panic buy tank, will keep it Chez Guppy until i'm richer and can go mad on HUGE tanks!!! (in my dreams!) but how many mates? He is fully grown, i think 4 in there max? Or any suggestions??  ???

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it's roughly 5 gallons, is it a standard tank or octagon or something like that. I would say four max, perferably three so it's easier for them to get away from each other as they will be aggressive. I would wait at least a week if not two to make sure the tank doesn't go through any mini-cycles.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
box standard tank. I also think 3, was thinking just 2 but thought might need extra mate. Plus tank and filter not good enough for long term but def fine to have for mad times like this!! I guess this is a learning curve too! At least he isn't shredded like his mates and having a ball in the waterpark!!! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom