Guys help me point out what's wrong with my aquascape

Chiasmodon

I always felt like there is always missing and wrong when I finished an aquascape.. But I couldn't tell what it is.

The plants in this tank includes:

Java Fern mini
Anubias barteri Broad leaf
Java moss
Anubias long and short?
C. Wendtii brown
Anubias pangolino (dying)
Tall narrow leaf sagitarria
And dwarf sagittaria (lol idk why they grew around 2 ft tall)

It would greatly help me if someone could point it out for me.

Also, I need some suggestions from you guys to improve the aquascape.

Here's my new aquascape btw:

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_114316.jpg
    IMG_20220117_114316.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20220117_114046.jpg
    IMG_20220117_114046.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 65

bumblinBee

Mmm, I think it's that piece of wood. Laying flat like that, it isn't very dynamic, and it makes a horizontal cut through the main space of your tank. If you had it pointing upwards at an angle you can hit that golden ratio, and I think it'll be a lot more appealing.

As a side note, this is still a gorgeous tank by all means, you should be proud! Your sag are making me jealous!

SamMe

I think you're selling yourself short, I like it!:D

Chiasmodon

Mmm, I think it's that piece of wood. Laying flat like that, it isn't very dynamic, and it makes a horizontal cut through the main space of your tank. If you had it pointing upwards at an angle you can hit that golden ratio, and I think it'll be a lot more appealing.

As a side note, this is still a gorgeous tank by all means, you should be proud! Your sag are making me jealous!
Lol, I think I did actually tried that before, look at this previous aquascape. . Sadly the other wood rots.

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_124210.jpg
    IMG_20211216_124210.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 37

otterblue

Firstoff, I think it looks good as is.

If I were to change anything, I'd make the wood vertical and split the tallest plants to the right and left sides - leaving open space in the middle. And I'd space those tall plants a bit and place them in a staggered position rather than a straight line. Some water lettuce makes a really nice effect, too. That's just me though, and I've gotten about a total of 3 votes ever for TOTM.

Even left as is, it's still a good looking tank.

Chiasmodon

If I were to change anything, I'd make the wood vertical and split the tallest plants to the right and left sides - leaving open space in the middle. And I'd space those tall plants a bit and place them in a staggered position rather than a straight line. Some water lettuce makes a really nice effect, too. That's just me though, and I've gotten about a total of 3 votes ever for TOTM.

I would like to consider this as a suggestion but I don't know where to put the other plants and decorations. And I think I also lack some decorations to make it work
I just added wisteria, bacoppa and water lettuce and I think it's kinda better.

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_131643.jpg
    IMG_20220117_131643.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 22

ramzilla

Looks very good to me.

OutsideFoodBlob

This is very lovely. I think what your eye is catching as something missing is that the eye is drawn to travel from left to right especially with the curving nature of the taller background plants. And then it’s kind of bare or open on the right. Whether plants, wood or rock this space wants to be, for my eye, the place to end up. Maybe something plant wise with reds or magentas to pop against all that beautiful green that is already there.
Again it is very lovely already!

BananaBean

Yes, it is usually more visually appealing if the center of focus is off to the side instead of dead center or mostly center. It is a good aquascape though, keep it up!

Chiasmodon

This is very lovely. I think what your eye is catching as something missing is that the eye is drawn to travel from left to right especially with the curving nature of the taller background plants. And then it’s kind of bare or open on the right. Whether plants, wood or rock this space wants to be, for my eye, the place to end up. Maybe something plant wise with reds or magentas to pop against all that beautiful green that is already there.
Again it is very lovely already!
I never succeed growing red plants because they are demanding and I can't afford CO2 injection.

Marlene327

I never succeed growing red plants because they are demanding and I can't afford CO2 injection.
They just need light and a fertilizer with a little iron in it, or an iron supplement. Then just a drop or two of that, a trace is enough.

I like your tank. I'm as critical of my own as you are. It takes time. I have to look for some mid sized plants to make the transition from low to high, maybe that's what you need. A couple anubias might work.

Chiasmodon

They just need light and a fertilizer with a little iron in it, or an iron supplement. Then just a drop or two of that, a trace is enough.

I like your tank. I'm as critical of my own as you are. It takes time. I have to look for some mid sized plants to make the transition from low to high, maybe that's what you need. A couple anubias might work.
I have anubias and it's growing great. About my red plants.. They died even with Fe and K fertz .. Well almost all of them and some survived emersed in my small pond. I would want to put those survivors to my tank but idk how.

Marlene327

I have anubias and it's growing great. About my red plants.. They died even with Fe and K fertz .. Well almost all of them and some survived emersed in my small pond. I would want to put those survivors to my tank but idk how.
I understand. I have 3 planted tanks and have found several plants will grow in 2 of them and melt in the 3rd. It's frustrating!

Chiasmodon

I understand. I have 3 planted tanks and have found several plants will grow in 2 of them and melt in the 3rd. It's frustrating!
Yes. Actually this is my first time growing anubias along with java fern succesfully and the first anubias and ferns I bought turned yellow and died even with fertz.. The primary suspect is the high temperature.

TClare

I like your tank, very nice. I know what people mean about the flat wood though, My intitial thought was to raise the substrate/rock pile on the left, so that the log is sloping downwards. if that makes sense...

OutsideFoodBlob

Ok so scrap reddish plants. But what about a piece of smooth rock with a different shape/profile. The rock or wood already in tank is on a horizontal line so something with height versus length. You could add plants to it too if you wanted. And if not one large stone then like a stone outcropping of some sort with smoother/rounded stones. So different textures which can also add movement/interest.

Thunder_o_b

I will speak as a photographer here (but the same applies to painting). What you have is good, but incomplete. I would suggest bring the tall background plants all the way across the back then along the right wall of the aquarium.

You have a good representation of the rule of thirds, trailing line, and the moving eye from left to right. But there is a jarring stop to the flow of the eye on the right.

Also painting the back and non viewing sides with flat black latex paint will get rid of background distractions.

The below photo is of a 150 tall done in a different direction.
Note the left side and back with the black paint.

If you do go with the paint you must be sure that the glass is absolutely clean or the the paint will give you a lot of trouble.

The pant is reasonably easy to remove if needed when cured.

Best wishes.

Attachments

• _MG_9468-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    _MG_9468-Edit.0 copy.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 15

OutsideFoodBlob

Oh: have you ever had success with any of the dwarf lily or lotus bulbs. One of those tucked in the back right corner would fill that area in with different color and texture. My dwarf lily gets no special attention and lives with goldfish so they are hard and low light tolerant.

Chiasmodon

Ok so scrap reddish plants. But what about a piece of smooth rock with a different shape/profile. The rock or wood already in tank is on a horizontal line so something with height versus length. You could add plants to it too if you wanted. And if not one large stone then like a stone outcropping of some sort with smoother/rounded stones. So different textures which can also add movement/interest.
I have collected round dark stones from the creek... but doesnt mean that I will change the whole setup again? Also they smell like ammonia + algae hahaha. I bought horizontal plat stones because I think they are beautiful. but also.. I think would waste a lot of money if I did change the setup.
I will speak as a photographer here (but the same applies to painting). What you have is good, but incomplete. I would suggest bring the tall background plants all the way across the back then along the right wall of the aquarium.

You have a good representation of the rule of thirds, trailing line, and the moving eye from left to right. But there is a jarring stop to the flow of the eye on the right.

Also painting the back and non viewing sides with flat black latex paint will get rid of background distractions.

If you do go with the paint you must be sure that the glass is absolutely clean or the the paint will give you a lot of trouble.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.
I tried this before, let me know what you think of the picture below
I like your tank, very nice. I know what people mean about the flat wood though, My intitial thought was to raise the substrate/rock pile on the left, so that the log is sloping downwards. if that makes sense...
I will try to draw what Imagine. heres what is in my head.
1642597638038.png
Oh: have you ever had success with any of the dwarf lily or lotus bulbs. One of those tucked in the back right corner would fill that area in with different color and texture. My dwarf lily gets no special attention and lives with goldfish so they are hard and low light tolerant.
I have duck lettuce, its a very tall plant with wide leaves but I plant it in the right side of my of tank.

1642598654145.png

I told you before that I collected round stones from the creek and I came up with a new design (above picture)

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_113452.jpg
    IMG_20220117_113452.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 13

jmaldo

Very Nice!
The last pic with the dark background really helped with the light reflections.

Good Luck.

BVUBeavers

I love it the way it is...the OCD in me wants you to shift everything toward the center to balance the appearance from left to right...but its not so bad that it triggers my OCD.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackTeeShirt
Replies
Views
WTFish?
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies
Views