Gurgling Cansister Filter 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Musey, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Musey

MuseyWell Known MemberMember

Hi folks! It has been awhile since I've been on the boards... been super busy over the holidays. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

I ended up getting that nasty Flu that is plaguing the east coast. I came down with it two days before Christmas and I'm just now starting to get better. Yesterday, was the first day I felt well enough to start playing with all my new toys that I got for Christmas. I got a new canister filter and a pressurized CO2 system too! YAY!

So far, everything seems to be working okay. But, my SunSun 303B keeps making a gurgling noise and spitting out air bubbles every 10-20 minutes. The rest of the time, it seems to be perfectly quiet. I'm not sure if I did everything correctly or not because the instructions were so badly translated.

So... I enlisted the help of my hubby in setting everything up because A) he is an engineer with a degree in fluid mechanics and B) I couldn't make heads or tails of the directions that came with most of my new equipment. Most of it was made in China and the directions were just brutally translated. At one point, I was on the floor laughing so hard, I couldn't breath (of course, I'm still sick so this sent me into a coughing fit that didn't feel very good). Here is just a sample of what I am talking about:

Yep, that is what it was like the whole way through the instructions. Since I have never had a canister filter before I really had no idea what I was doing. We were just winging it as best we could. After hooking up all the hoses and tubing as closely to the "diagrammatic representation" as we could, we primed the canister with the pump button on top. The canister filled up with water and after a couple minutes it stopped filling up. Then we plugged it in. After a few seconds of sucking and gurgling the system started to quietly pump water and sounded perfectly normal. At first, I thought everything was golden... but over the last 24 hours I've been hearing occasional gurgling noises followed by a rush of bubbles being pushed out the spray bar into the aquarium. It does this about once every 10-20 minutes.

So I'm wondering, did we do something wrong? Is air trapped inside the canister? Or is air getting in somehow? Should I giggle the unit to get the air out?

We secured all the fittings as tightly as possible and there does not appear to be any leaks anywhere. So I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this gurgling noise. Has anyone else had a canister filter that gurgles? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
    Muse

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I always rock my canisters to get the air out., especially after maintenance. In addition to that, when I put the filter back together, I manually fill it up before attaching the head. I put enough water in it so that when I clamp on the head, water spills out. That ensures that there is no air in it.

Are you using the skimmer attachment?

3. OP
    OP
    Musey

Okay that sounds like good advise! I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks!

I feel stupid... but... I don't know? What part is the skimmer?

4. Jaysee

Yeah, I manually fill every canister - it drives me nuts hearing the gurgle.

I'll get a pic of the skimmer assembly.
    If you use the surface skimmer, it's important that it is angled properly - that is, 90 degrees to the surface. If it is off, it will draw in air with the water and you will have constant air bubbles. Too, make sure that the skimmer piece can freely slide on the post, otherwise it can get stuck slightly above the water line and suck in air.

When you assemble a canister, there is all kinds of air in the media. Even when you fill it up, there is air stuck in there that will only come out once the filter is running, so it's always a good idea to give the filter a rocking the day after to get the air bubbles out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Musey

Is this right?

IMG_0498.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0500.JPG

6. Jaysee

Yeah, it's something you have to play with. If its not right, it will draw air in.

7. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

I think you should go to your local chinatown and get the instructions right.You do live in USA.?

8. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

I have two sun sun's and they work fine without the skimmer. I just took them off the curvy bar and have no trouble from filter gurgling now.

9. OP
    OP
    Musey

I fiddled around with it some today... and it is making a lot less noise now. It still does make some noise every now and then but I think the next time I clean the canister out I will just fill it up manually before putting the top back on. We'll see how that works. I may end up taking the skimmer off like 3aquariums suggested if it still makes noise after that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice