Gups & Plats

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by 0morrokh, Feb 24, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah don't ask why I always call my little fishies Gups and Plats instead of Guppies and Plays...a n y w a y ... ::)
    I have several gorgeous female Guppies and a gorgeous female Platy (and the other ones are nice too, though not quite as stunning...but anyway...) so I could never choose just one type to breed. So, my question is, should I be OK keeping a trio of Guppies and a trio of Platys together? As in, since I have males for all the females and vice versa, I won't get hybrids, right? (If you're looking at my tank and thinking I won't have room, don't worry, I'm kicking two of the Gups out to keep the Q tank cycled and the Otos will go into a planted tank. Just in case anyone cares ;))

2. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

lol of course you wont get hybrids... it would be fine to keep 1m-2f on each species if thats what your asking...

3. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

gups and plats lol ;D

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

0morrokh I know how you love your Guppies. Remember last Oct. when My hubby bought all those guppys at an auction? Now I have beautiful babies.
    as for hybrids, I don't think you will get any and 1M/2F of both is a good mix. But they will eat each others fry ;)
    Carol

5. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh yes a breeding net would be a good idea

6. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

so you are saying if you put guppies in my 29 gallon tank at a 1:2 ratio and i got some swords or plattys at a 1:2 ratio i wont have hybrids because i always wanted some swords or plattys and my mom does too but i thought if i put them in together i will get hybrids so what i am saying is if i put in guppies at a 1:2 ratio and swords or platys at a 1:2 ratio i wont have hybrids??? ???

7. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

8. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

if by hybrids you mean a sword/guppy mix then that wont happen no matter what... i doubt if you devoted your life to it you could get them to breed.

the 1-2 ratio is just to make them more comfy.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Platys and Swords will cross. Neither one of those will cross with guppies. The reason you use a trio (1M & 2 F) is to keep the male from harassing the female too much.
    Carol

10. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah I love my little fishies :-* ;)
    Okay, that's what I thought, that I won't get hybrids as long as I have both kinds of male. But anyway, I might have a change of plans, because at my lfs thay are selling a 20 gallon long with a fluorescent hood (both trimmed in "oak"), Emporer bio-wheel filter for up to 50 gallons, and a heater, for get this: $100 (US). Like, that makes the tank and heater free and oh my that filter... :eek: And what the heck, all those for a 10 gallon would cost probably $80 if not more. If only I can get the money...I'll make it eventually, but by that time someone will have bought the kit. They are selling a similar 15 kit for $80. So anyway, if I can get that 20, I'll just keep all the fish in there and use my existing 10 gal as a Q tank, and when I have all my fish I'll move the Platys back to the 10 to keep it cycled, and then maybe get a tank divider and use it as a fry tank. That is, if my lfs will take fry. If they won't, I'll just get an extra tetra or something, but I do hope I can breed. So I wouldn't have the Gups and Plats together anyway.
    MUST...HAVE...TANK... ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice