Gups & Plats

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah don't ask why I always call my little fishies Gups and Plats instead of Guppies and Plays...a n y w a y ... ::)
    I have several gorgeous female Guppies and a gorgeous female Platy (and the other ones are nice too, though not quite as stunning...but anyway...) so I could never choose just one type to breed. So, my question is, should I be OK keeping a trio of Guppies and a trio of Platys together? As in, since I have males for all the females and vice versa, I won't get hybrids, right? (If you're looking at my tank and thinking I won't have room, don't worry, I'm kicking two of the Gups out to keep the Q tank cycled and the Otos will go into a planted tank. Just in case anyone cares ;))

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol of course you wont get hybrids... it would be fine to keep 1m-2f on each species if thats what your asking...

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

gups and plats lol ;D

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

0morrokh I know how you love your Guppies. Remember last Oct. when My hubby bought all those guppys at an auction? Now I have beautiful babies.
    as for hybrids, I don't think you will get any and 1M/2F of both is a good mix. But they will eat each others fry ;)
    Carol

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh yes a breeding net would be a good idea

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

so you are saying if you put guppies in my 29 gallon tank at a 1:2 ratio and i got some swords or plattys at a 1:2 ratio i wont have hybrids because i always wanted some swords or plattys and my mom does too but i thought if i put them in together i will get hybrids so what i am saying is if i put in guppies at a 1:2 ratio and swords or platys at a 1:2 ratio i wont have hybrids??? ???

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

???

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

if by hybrids you mean a sword/guppy mix then that wont happen no matter what... i doubt if you devoted your life to it you could get them to breed.

the 1-2 ratio is just to make them more comfy.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Platys and Swords will cross. Neither one of those will cross with guppies. The reason you use a trio (1M & 2 F) is to keep the male from harassing the female too much.
    Carol

10. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah I love my little fishies :-* ;)
    Okay, that's what I thought, that I won't get hybrids as long as I have both kinds of male. But anyway, I might have a change of plans, because at my lfs thay are selling a 20 gallon long with a fluorescent hood (both trimmed in "oak"), Emporer bio-wheel filter for up to 50 gallons, and a heater, for get this: $100 (US). Like, that makes the tank and heater free and oh my that filter... :eek: And what the heck, all those for a 10 gallon would cost probably $80 if not more. If only I can get the money...I'll make it eventually, but by that time someone will have bought the kit. They are selling a similar 15 kit for $80. So anyway, if I can get that 20, I'll just keep all the fish in there and use my existing 10 gal as a Q tank, and when I have all my fish I'll move the Platys back to the 10 to keep it cycled, and then maybe get a tank divider and use it as a fry tank. That is, if my lfs will take fry. If they won't, I'll just get an extra tetra or something, but I do hope I can breed. So I wouldn't have the Gups and Plats together anyway.
    MUST...HAVE...TANK... ;D