Guppys With Parasites

Liwia1177

Hello, I have 24 gallon planted aquarium with 3 male guppys, 3 endler guppys, an angelfish (it's small and doesn't bother the guppys at all), 8 female guppys, 3 bumblebee gobbys, a plecko and a catfish. Also I have around 15 guppy fry in the breeding box. I know it's a lot of fish but I'm able to do a lot of water changes, have good aeration and filtration and test my water regularly to make sure everything is okay.

The problem is, one of my female guppys started acting strange and just sitting at the bottom of the gravel not really moving at all she did eat the food that fell to the bottom. After a week I noticed a hole in the middle of her stomach and moved her into a quarantine tank straight away. She was in there for 3 days, didn't eat at all even though I tried different types of foods. Today I found her dead and looked at her closely, her belly looked like it was split and there was a hole (I could see her insides). I did treat her with antI parasite treatment but it didn't help at all.

I noticed that one of my females is acting a bit weird she would be swimming in one spot for quite a long time and I'm worried she could be infected. If you know what this could be I'll really appreciate your help I'm just so scared the rest of my fish are gonna get sick and die. I don't know how to treat them because I don't know what exactly is wrong with them.

The only way that the parasite or disease could get into the tank is when I was introducing new fish to my tank and I think that's what happened .

Liwia1177

IMG_1741.JPG This picture is very sad, this is what the female that died today looks like. As you can see there's a hole in her stomach.

Whitewolf

Look for a red paintbrush like things hangiing from their vent, (anus)
Look for their feces as they are deficating, is it stringy white?
Do they seem bloated?

Liwia1177

Look for a red paintbrush like things hangiing from their vent, (anus)
Look for their feces as they are deficating, is it stringy white?
Do they seem bloated?

I have noticed something red hanging from 3 of my females vents, their gravid spots also turned red. They're feces are white and stringy and 2 females look bloated the rest looks normal.

Whitewolf

Okay, then you have camallanus worms. The treatment is levimasole powder which can be found online. 1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon per 100 gallons, leave the lights off for 24 hours, then do a large water change (50-75%) Vacum like crazy, and repeat treatment in 2 weeks. Some fish will not make it because the worms have done too much damage or are stuck.
Clout can be used to kill camallanus worm eggs in between and after treatments.

I deworm my fish monthly, as a preventative measure. Alot of breeders do.

Liwia1177

Thanks that's what I'm going to do I'm trying to find levimasole right now. Is that what you use to deworm your fish regularly?

Liwia1177

Thank you it really helped a lot. ☺

Liwia1177

Whitewolf I can't get Levamisole in Ireland. I can buy a cat or dog dewormer with its main ingredient fenbendazole.. The ones for cats are 222mg/g and the ines for dogs are 666mg/g , which ones should I get, what dosage, how do I feed it to them and do I also put in into the tank to kill the worms present inside the tank? Do I get the tablets or granules ?

Whitewolf

You would have to google that. Its called pancur. Mix it in the food, get some garlic guard and Focus to bind it if you have money. Soak bloodworms in it for 30 minutes before feeding.

Liwia1177

Thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mygerbilprince
Replies
Views
abbytherookiehuman
Replies
Views
mimo91088