Guppy’s + Cory stocking question

Currih

HI I’m new to the forum, I have a fully cycled 29 gallon tank (with sand on bottom) I have 8 guppy’s and one bronze Cory, I know they like to be kept in groups so I am looking to add atleast 2 more. My LFS has albino corys and green corys right now. I know they are all the same species so I was going to get one or two of each (2 albino and 2 green). They should all hang out together correct? I’ve read sometimes if they are not all the same color they don’t. Would I be ok to get 2 of each or should I get fewer? I don’t want to over stock my tank.

Blueberrybetta

You need atleast a group of 6+ of cories

Currih

Do you think I have enough room left for 6 corys? I only have this single Cory because someone gave me their tank (it was only 5 gallons, way over stocked with 6 guppy’s and one Cory) so I cycled this 29 gallon for them. I would have picked one of the smaller types of corys but it looks like I’m committed to this one.

redtetra

Stick with a good group of the same cory.

They will not all school together if they are different.

Nataku

If the only thing you have in the tank is 8 guppies and 1 corydora you have plenty of room to add more corydoras. They do best in groups, the bigger the better.
You could easily do 6-12 corydoras in this tank, get the same species, but yes bronze are the most common type of albinos in corydoras so they should be the same species.

ProudPapa

From everything I've seen and read about them, different colors of the same species will shoal together, but different species won't.

mattgirl

Do you think I have enough room left for 6 corys? I only have this single Cory because someone gave me their tank (it was only 5 gallons, way over stocked with 6 guppy’s and one Cory) so I cycled this 29 gallon for them. I would have picked one of the smaller types of corys but it looks like I’m committed to this one.
6 is actually an arbitrary number seemingly chosen to mean corys need friends. Your plan of adding 4 more should be just fine. If you end up with both male and females you may eventually have a lot more. I started with 3 albino and 3 bronze. I now have more than I can count but just guessing I am sure there are at least 25 bronze now. All fry came out bronze although the most prolific egg layer is an albino female.

DoubleDutch

6 is actually an arbitrary number seemingly chosen to mean corys need friends. Your plan of adding 4 more should be just fine. If you end up with both male and females you may eventually have a lot more. I started with 3 albino and 3 bronze. I now have more than I can count but just guessing I am sure there are at least 25 bronze now. All fry came out bronze although the most prolific egg layer is an albino female.
Why not 8 ?
Arbitrary doesn't only mean lower but also higher. For fish that are in 100+ shoals I'd choose for more instead of less.

mattgirl

Why not 8 ?
Arbitrary doesn't only mean lower but also higher. For fish that are in 100+ shoals I'd choose for more instead of less.
I agree, the more the better. I just meant the OP would be alright just getting 2 each of the others to add to the one already in there for a total of 5

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sankalpakc
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies