GuppyOverlord11's 25 Hex stocking

MyFishAddiction

So yesterday I got this tank from a guy who was moving and did not want to take his tanks. He had a 25 hex and a 10 gallon, so I took them. I plan to keep the 25 and sell the 10 for money to fund the 25. This is the tank:
You must be registered to see images

Fancy, I know. I don't know how Im going to stock it, but currently I have 2 ideas:
tiger barbs (6)
Pleco (BN or CLown) OR Snails (1 mystery, 1 Nerite, maybe a few MTS or ramshorns)
OR
Guppies ((4-7) Some from pre-established ten, will likely add a betta in the old guppy tank.)
Killifish? (?)
other similar sized fish
maybe shrimp
Pleco (BN or CLown) OR Snails (1 mystery, 1 Nerite, maybe a few MTS or ramshorns).

I plan to do a natural style, with rocks and wood and some live plants, because it's tall I want an amazon sword. I will keep you posted!
P.S. Stocking sugestions? I don't know how to stock because it's so tall. Plants, fish and invertebrates welcome, no CO2.

BigManAquatics

I think a tall rock or a small stump would look great in the center...something that goes up a ways, at least!

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

Nano fish would be my pick. Not sure if barbs would have the swimming room to diffuse aggression.

Want to say an angel as it has the height but would be to cramped I think.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Yes if you put angels in here you could maybe do a pair but with no other fish in the tank, and no inverts either.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Okay, improved stocking ideas:
Angels (1-2 females)
OR
Guppies ((4-7) Some from pre-established ten, will likely add a betta in the old guppy tank.)
Killifish? (?)
other similar sized fish
maybe shrimp
Pleco (BN or CLown) OR Snails (1 mystery, 1 Nerite, maybe a few MTS or ramshorns).
Likely going to do option #2, does anyone have any ideas for a centerpiece fish? Like a honey gurami?

EDIT: After reading through SouthAmericanCichlids' article, I have decided not to go with angels. Any one else have any suggestions?

UPDATE:
New idea for option #2:
Guppies ((5-6) Some from pre-established ten, will likely add a betta in the old guppy tank.)
endlers(4) OR neon tetras (7)
other similar sized fish?
maybe shrimp

Also just found out I can use play sand, and that Lowe's sells 50 lbs. for $5.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Have some new ideas for stocking:
Guppies (start w/ a few and let them breed like crazy)
Shrimp?
Snails (x1 mystery, 1 nerite)
OR
Guppies (x6 males)
Ember Tetras (x6)
Shrimp?
Snails (x1 mystery, 1 nerites)

EDIT: I'm not set on the ember tetras, mostly because I would have to get them shipped. Similar sized hardy tetras, or other fish like that? My sister likes neon tetras, but I'm not liking the overbred part.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Got the sand today! I will rinse it and make it aquarium safe tomorrow. I will also clean the tank then too; This is where the fun begins.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I made a google doc of all my ideas:

Fish:
6 tiger barbs?
1 BN pleco? Or bunch a snails

Guppies-let them go crazy? Or
Neon (or similar) tetras
1 Pleco? Or a bunch of snails

1-2 Angelfish

Guppies (x4-6)
Ember tetras?
Honey gourami
Snails

Guppies (x6-8)
Honey gourami (x4)
Snails

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Guppy Grass
Java Moss

Decor:
terracotta pot covered in Java moss, hill look
Big rocks/sticks

Any other ideas?
Also are dwarf honeys, honeys, and susnet honeys the same thing?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Got the sand in the tank!:
You must be registered to see images

I just dumped the sand in there, I'll make it pretty once I have decor and water and such. The plastic plant is probably not staying, I just put it the becuase. Also got a filter and light.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

That’s looking good, have you narrowed down what fish you want to stock yet?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Nope. There are too many options, but I'm thinking:
guppies (?)
Honey goruami (1)
Maybe some ember tetras, if not, probably more guppies lol.

I wanted to do guppies and multiple honeys, but I could only find males, and if I did mulitple I could only do only females.

Thinking about maybe somme other things but I'm still unsure about wether that'll be possible.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I just had this crazy idea: pea puffers. I heard the 1 per 5 gallon rule, but does that work in a hex? If so, I'd get 5. If not, I'd be fine with 3. Does anyone know if I can keep other fish with puffers? Obviusly I would'nt do the mystery and nerites.
Ok everyone, since this thread is updates and stocking, I made a new thread that is just updates, this will be now just stocking ideas. There will be no more updates on this thread.
GuppyOverlord11's 25G hex build | Freshwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 500466

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Soo, new idea every one:
cories (5-6)
guppies (4-7)
honey guarmi (1)
Any other ideas? I like this one best becuase it has bottom dewllers and top swimmers, also my mom and sister think pea puffs are cute, but they don't want them becuase of the whole eat-snails thing. What kind of cories would you guys suggest?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

6 Khuli loaches
3 guppies (will breed)
3 honey gouramis
1 mystery snail
I was going to do all male guppies, and defienitly a mystery snail, I thought loaches liked cooler water? I read that multiple males would be a problem, and I don't want to accidentally breed gouramis, will this be a problem?

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I was going to do all male guppies, and defienitly a mystery snail, I thought loaches liked cooler water? I read that multiple males would be a problem, and I don't want to accidentally breed gouramis, will this be a problem?
Khuli loaches are tropical fish and look pretty cool IMO. Idk if the Honey gouramis will breed. 7 male guppies

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I googled khulis, and they are pretty cool. I like this idea.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

If you don’t want the honey gouramis to breed just get a trio of females

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I'm having trouble finding females, that's why I'm doing 1 male. But, if I can get females, I'll do that!

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I'm having trouble finding females, that's why I'm doing 1 male. But, if I can get females, I'll do that!
I personally like the males more because they are more colorful. The females look kind of brownish

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

I think they do better in groups, 1 male might be a bit lost and lonely. I wonder if a group of males with no females would fight.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I wouldn't worry too much about breeding, an aggressive Honey Gourami is still just a Honey Gourami. They are better off in groups, that being said if you get the gold strain, they aren't too different from the males. Females are usually sold in tanks mixed with males, look for orange trim on the dorsal and analfins. Males will have yellow trims.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I wouldn't worry too much about breeding, an aggressive Honey Gourami is still just a Honey Gourami. They are better off in groups, that being said if you get the gold strain, they aren't too different from the males. Females are usually sold in tanks mixed with males, look for orange trim on the dorsal and analfins. Males will have yellow trims.
Well, I would have to get it shipped, and most that I've seen just say "honey Gourami" or "male honey Gourami" so, it would be a gamble. I have quite a bit until I actually get one, so I will look around. What online sites would you guys reccomend for Honeys?

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

I have never ordered online myself but I’m curious have you started cycling the tank yet?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Not yet. I'm still trying to decide if I want the Tetra Whisper, or the Marineland Pengiun filter. Maybe both. Probably tetra whisper. I suppose after that, I'm just waiting for decor, which I'm going shopping for today! Then probably tommorow I'll start cycling it.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Not yet. I'm still trying to decide if I want the Tetra Whisper, or the Marineland Pengiun filter. Maybe both. Probably tetra whisper. I suppose after that, I'm just waiting for decor, which I'm going shopping for today! Then probably tommorow I'll start cycling it.
the penguin is super duper silent, but the biowheel never spins for me. No matter what I do.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Tetra whisper is not quiet at all IMO

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Tetra whisper is not quiet at all IMO
Yup, I have 3. That's why I don't keep them in my room.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I thought about it, but I'm deciding on these 2, because I have them just laying around. They came with tanks I got free, but thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Been busy with other tanks, Finally got back to this one, am finishing filling it, and got thinking about stocking for it. I was thinking:
Honey gouramis (3?)
Ember tetras? (6)
Khulis (5)
Do you guys think this will work? It will be moderatly-heavily planted.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Been busy with other tanks, Finally got back to this one, am finishing filling it, and got thinking about stocking for it. I was thinking:
Honey gouramis (3?)
Ember tetras? (6)
Khulis (5)
Do you guys think this will work? It will be moderatly-heavily planted.
You could add even more ember tetras.
3 honey gouraims
10 EMber tetras
6 khulia loaches

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Cool! I'm still looking for tetras; not sold on the embers, was thinking about a different tetra, or maybe some kind of rasbora. I forgot to metion that.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Cool! I'm still looking for tetras; not sold on the embers, was thinking about a different tetra, or maybe some kind of rasbora. I forgot to metion that.
lambchop rasboras?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Was thinking scissor-tsil rasboras could look nice, but they get bigger than a lot of other rasboras, probably feel kind of cramped in a hex.

Maybe some flame tetras could be nice aka von rio tetras.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I do like the look of flame tetras.
I assume they have similar bio-loads to embers?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Found 10 flame tetras for 31.99 including shipping on aqua huna. the tank hasn't even started cycling yet, so I can't get them for a while. I think the flames will look good with the honeys.
Having some questions about the kuhlis since I read they can escape good. Thats my lid. Would I have the same problem with cories or something?

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Will black water work with this stocking? I don't really want to boil it and soak it forever.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Technically yes. It wouldn’t be super great for the gourami and loaches but it would be fine. Tbh I don’t really like the idea of that stocking in black water personally. My super great trick for tannins is activated carbon. Add some extra fresh carbon to your filter and wait a few days for the water to be crystal clear and not brown at all. Whenever I’ve used it, it works perfectly.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Ok, just wanted to check before I made it be blackwater. Thanks!

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Hello, everyone. As you may have heard from the other thread, I'm going to drain this tank and get some green tree frogs! Thanks for putting up with me!

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

Ooooooh those guys are super cute be sure to post lots of pictures on setup and the frogs!

Upvote 0

otterblue

Hello, everyone. As you may have heard from the other thread, I'm going to drain this tank and get some green tree frogs! Thanks for putting up with me!

Check out Dendroboard - it's the Fish Forum of frogs,

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Goldfish stocking help
Replies
Views
mimo91088