Guppy With Swollen Belly - See Through Help

1. shannon767 Member Member

I posted yesterday about my three guppies who are ill. Looks like two of them have intestinal parasites, which I’m treating with daily epsom salt baths and NLS Hex Shield medicated food.

The third one, though, I’m not sure has the same issue. This third one has the worst swelling, and today I can see through what looks like the bubble. I have no idea what is causing this. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Attached is a pic of all three and then two close ups of the third.

Please help if you can. This condition looks very uncomfortable.

Thank you.

d38adaabf7391cbcfab7c6c8b4ed6bd6.jpg c58711125ce7474696223ee70629b8c4.jpg b675adb7f3f5d4f9d5f583c30b81bf2f.jpg
  2. Rojer Ramjet Member Member

That's called Dropsy. It's bad. It usually happens because of bad water quality.

Get the fish into a hospital tank, warm it up, get some salt in it, then start doing daily water changes on your display until the water is stabilized and the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are within acceptable ranges (0,0, less than 40, respectively).

3. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Could be worms, internal bacteria, ect ect
    If that med dosent work, try some better ones along with regular aquarium salt, epsom salt should not be necessary for more than one or two days
  4. Dila415 Member Member

Like I said on your other post parasites cause bubbles that look clear it's kind of a lost cause to treat them because of their bent backs and dropsy. You are kind of late for treatment. I would before ever adding more fish disinfect your tank and always treat new fish. I got some guppies from a reputable breeder actually quite famous for their guppies all of his had worms it was a mess but got it fixed but now those fancy guppies have bent backs not to the point of yours but it's sucky.

5. shannon767 Member Member

Thanks, Dila. I was hopeful that maybe it wasn’t so bad. My water quality is almost always perfect: 0, 0, ~40. But I added five new panda cories, and it raised my ammonia, and I didn’t realize it until the second day.

The fish seems to be behaving normally, so I really hate to euthanize it. I will, though, if necessary. Do you happen to know anything about whether or not this condition is painful or uncomfortable?

I’m sorry to hear about your fish, too, although I’m glad they’re ok.

Thanks for your help.
  6. Dila415 Member Member

In my opinion they have dropsy and should be humanely euthanized. The kidneys shut down and their bodies take in water which also causes bloating and basically they suck up water and "drown" it's really sad to put them down but I feel it's better than to let them suffer when they start to pinecone there's not much we as fish keepers can really do. Sorry that you are going through this
  7. shannon767 Member Member

OK. Yeah, it sucks for sure. I feel so bad. Thank you again for your help.

8. Dila415 Member Member

You are welcome :( if you need anything or any other questions don't hesitate to ask!
  9. Rojer Ramjet Member Member

Oil of clove is what I use to anethetize my puffers when I trim their teeth, or when I put one down.

It's very fast and painless.
  10. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Prime neutralizes ammonia for 24-48 hours. Any trace amounts of ammonia for longer than this period can cause permananent damage in fish, especially sensitive guppies and their fry.