Guppy with swollen analfin???

fishrfun

Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

We have a 30 gallon tank, which has had fish in it for a few weeks. Everything has been great, once we found this site and did more frequent water changes.

Yesterday, one of our male fancy guppies got a swollen stomach. He seemed to not be moving as much, and was just hanging out at the top of the tank.

This might be TMI, but he then had a huge BM, long and lumpy. It helped the swelling right away, so we assumed he was constipated and finally got some "relief".

This morning, it looked as though he was having another BM, except it was reddish pink. All day it has gotten larger, so now it is almost the size of a pea. My husband thinks it is a portion of his analfin that has become grossly swollen - our other guppy has a tiny red fin in the same spot. I think it looks more like a hernia or something that belongs inside him instead of outside!

So we were out for a few hours, and when we returned he was laying on the bottom, barely moving. I thought that was the end of him, but I moved him to a quarantine tank so the other fish wouldn't bother him. I put in a little tank water and some treated tap water that I added a bit of salt to, and warmed up to about 80 degrees. Within 10 minutes, he was swimming much better, but still resting some on the bottom of the tank.

So the question now is - how long do I leave him in the quarantine tank? Am I making him suffer with a hernia or something that is terminal, and shoud I just euthanize him? I have searched every website and fish forum for the last few hours, and can not find any other info about this kind of thing. We want to try to help him, but if it is incurable it seems more humane to just end it. It looks like it would hurt to have that thing sticking out of him.

Anyone with ideas?

BTW... We also have 3 other guppies, 4 harlequin rasboras, 2 sunburst platies, 7 neons, and 1 red tailed shark in his regular tank. All look happy and healthy. All water readings are good. Temp is kept at 75 degrees. We did a 30% water change yesterday and today, just in case, but all other fish look great.

Thanks in advance!

fishrfun

Reaction score
Just an update...

We came out this morning expecting a floating fish, but instead he was totally recovered!!

No swelling, swimming fine. We reacclimated him to the regular tank, and he looks happy as can be, eating, playing in the bubbles as usual.

Hopefully that is the end of the mystery disease!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
glad to hear he is recovered. how odd though!! lets hope thats a one off that you'll never see again. fish are very good at worrying you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom