Guppy with possible fin rot question?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Shedzy1985, Jul 9, 2015.

1. S

Shedzy1985 New Member Member

Hi, when I first received my tank it contained 3 tiger barbs. One of my guppies was attacked and had a couple of bites taken out of his tail. A couple of weeks later his tail is looking frayed. I've treated the tank for fin rot as per the instructions on the bottle (and removing carbon filters) but I was wondering about water changes. Do I still do 25% every couple of days to keep the water clean or do I leave it be whilst the meds are in? Needless to say the tiger barbs were rehomed!

Much thanks, Amy xxx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    S

Apologies for the double post, my phone was slow catching up so I thought it hadn't posted and I'm not sure how to delete? Also can I amend a spelling error? Fin rot isn't fun!

Much thanks, Amy xxx

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    I've deleted your other thread & edited the title here for you

4. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you so much :)

Much thanks, Amy xxx

5. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

You need to be doing 50% water changes every few days. Guppies absolutely must have clean water. They are too heavily inbred to survive in anything less than pristine conditions. Salt helps too, they are found in freshwater as well as naturally brackish water. Asian fish farms mix sea water in with their guppy ponds/pools to ward off diseases. Salt has natural oxidizing properties and wards off parasites and bacteria. Just redose whatever med i assume its one of the "fix's"....
    If you really love guppies and want to get serious about it, i suggest you go Bare Bottom. Gravel is nasty stuff that houses much more Feces than good bacteria. You can still have plants and decorations, just pot them in a small pot with some gravel, even fake plants look cool. After awhile, youll notice how much feces builds up in just a few days, and you'll have more sucess with "fancy" bred fish. Assuming you have a 10 gallon (44 liter) tank, you should be draining half of the volume and replacing it twice a week, trying not to splash. If you do all that, you can easily have 20 adult guppies in that size of a tank. Just provide fake floating plants to give pletny of surface cover and not too many males 1:3 male to female ratio and you will then have fry.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you Matt that's really helpful. It's actually a community tank, I have guppies, mollies, tetras, khuli loaches, platys, rabbit snails and a bristlenose pleco. I don't think all of those cope with the salt do they? My tank is 125 litre.

Much thanks, Amy xxx

7. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

The guppies and mollies would for sure, the tetras and loaches and pleco probably would not like it so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice