Guppy with missing chunk of fin

grracemarrie
hello, i’m so sad. i went to pass my fish tank it’s 2:31 am so it’s the middle of the night. earlier around 6 pm i did a water change and added this new hide i got from petsmart. as i went to look i noticed one of my guppies had a huge chunk missing from her tail! my only guess is the new house because nothing else i have in this tank is bad. it’s a 20 gallon tank with 8 female guppies and 4 nerite snails. i his tank has been up and running for a year almost 2 at this point. i’m not sure what happened. how to i make sure this guppy doesn’t pass. these fish are really sentimental so i feel just terrible that one of them is injuried. any advice is helpful. i already added salt. just now.
thanks

Attachments

• 9D963D76-FBD1-44CA-BD8D-D733FFDED23B.jpeg
    9D963D76-FBD1-44CA-BD8D-D733FFDED23B.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 03F27E55-CE4A-45DF-946B-79F751F0A8FA.jpeg
    03F27E55-CE4A-45DF-946B-79F751F0A8FA.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 16

Advertisement
PeterFishKeepin
Guppies and many other fish are well known for fin nipping behaviour which involves each other biting at the tails and fin to make the other look less attractive when mating, I think that's how it works, should be ok if it gets worse then seperate the fish in a breeder box or another tank...

Advertisement
HupGupp
It could just be a tear/split. I've seen them heal in very quickly - I wouldn't be too worried. The salt will help.

grracemarrie
Guppies and many other fish are well known for fin nipping behaviour which involves each other biting at the tails and fin to make the other look less attractive when mating, I think that's how it works, should be ok if it gets worse then seperate the fish in a breeder box or another tank...
i didn’t know that. thanks! i just hope it feels probably!
It could just be a tear/split. I've seen them heal in very quickly - I wouldn't be too worried. The salt will help.
okay, how much should i be doing water changes? every other day?

emeraldking
What I get from this photo is that it's not nipped. It's torn when she probably got stuck somewhere. It's also a very clean cut, which makes me still think of a torn by something sharp, like an edge or something.

grracemarrie
What I get from this photo is that it's not nipped. It's torn when she probably got stuck somewhere. It's also a very clean cut, which makes me still think of a torn by something sharp, like an edge or something.
that’s what i think too. i’m guessing it’s something from the new house i put in. do you have any tips to make sure the fish heals? i was gonna do 50% water changes every other day adding salt with the water changes.

Advertisement

Blk69
I agree, looks like a tear. Does that water wheel turn? If yes that might be a pinch point that is not fish tail friendly.

grracemarrie
I agree, looks like a tear. Does that water wheel turn? If yes that might be a pinch point that is not fish tail friendly.
the wheel does turn but i never set it up because i like to keep the water flow soft with my guppies. so the wheel wasn’t turning. i wonder if i should try and see if i can take the wheel off.

Blk69
The wheel looks plastic, maybe it just has a rough spot on it. Suggest you take it out of the water and inspect. Maybe you can just sand a few spots and be good?

grracemarrie
The wheel looks plastic, maybe it just has a rough spot on it. Suggest you take it out of the water and inspect. Maybe you can just sand a few spots and be good?
okay i’m going to try that out. thanks so much!

emeraldking
do you have any tips to make sure the fish heals?
It differs per individual specimen wether the fin tissue missing will grow back. In case it won't grow back, it won't bother her at all. But when it grows back, most of the time, color won't return but stays most of the time translucent. But I wouldn't be worried about her.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Daac
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
grracemarrie
Replies
Views