Guppy with hole in head?

MissCap

Well Known
I have 4 male guppies in my cycled 10 gallon. O ammonia, O nitire, 5 nitrate. A couple weeks ago, one male guppy started swimming in place, then started tilting to the side. I thought he had swim bladder so I fed him a deshelled pea. He didn't want it so I soaked it in garlic. He still didn't want it.

He then looked to get a little better until a few days ago when his color drastically faded. I have added nothing new and keep up my weekly water changes. He ate last night and was swimming this morning. I was out all day today and when I got home, he was curled in a C shape swimming with his face in the rocks. I then noticed what appeared to be a round indent in his forhead. Could it be hole in the head? How would he have gotten it? I have had him for two months. I do not even know if he will make it to morning. Should I take him out tonight or chance him survining to morning? Is there any medication I can get? I wouldn't be able to get any until tomorrow evening. I live so far from town and my LFS is not close. I hate to see him suffering.

Aster

Well Known
Can you get a picture of him? How long have you had him?

I would QT him for now, just to keep the other fish from eating him if he dies.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
This is the best picture I could get because he just moved to the back of the tank. I can't Q him because I JUST started cycling my 55 gallon today with TSS and fish. This 10 gallon is going to be the Q tank eventually. Can I medicate the entire tank?

I have had him for two months.

Manjit

You said its bent in C shaped... Then chances are of fish TB... Can you explain in detail...

snailsaround

I know this may sound harsh but if he's really suffering and it looks like the end, you can consider humanely euthanising him with clove oil. I had a platy for 6 months who came down with something similar. He lost some of his color and stayed at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily.

I tried everything to help him. A full course Erythromycin, antifungals, adding a bit of salt...nothing helped. I couldn't let him just starve to death so I euthanised him with clove oil. He was so weak and sick that he passed very quickly.

I'm so sorry your fish is sick! It's so hard to see them suffer.

I learned how to do it from reading online and this youtube video. My platy just went to sleep. Poor buddy.

Clove oil, clove bud oil are good as long as they have NO ALCOHOL as that would burn and hurt the fish.

I hope this wasn't too grisly a suggestion. I hope for the best for you and your guppy!

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
I know this may sound harsh but if he's really suffering and it looks like the end, you can consider humanely euthanising him with clove oil. I had a platy for 6 months who came down with something similar. He lost some of his color and stayed at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily.

I tried everything to help him. A full course Erythromycin, antifungals, adding a bit of salt...nothing helped. I couldn't let him just starve to death so I euthanised him with clove oil. He was so weak and sick that he passed very quickly.

I'm so sorry your fish is sick! It's so hard to see them suffer.

I learned how to do it from reading online and this youtube video. My platy just went to sleep. Poor buddy.

Clove oil, clove bud oil are good as long as they have NO ALCOHOL as that would burn and hurt the fish.

I hope this wasn't too grisly a suggestion. I hope for the best for you and your guppy!

I don't have any clove oil and can't go to the store until later today. Is there another method that I could use? My husband and Mom keep telling me to flush him but I can't do it.

You said its bent in C shaped... Then chances are of fish TB... Can you explain in detail...

Are you serious or just trying to freak me out? I am freaked out enough about fish TB. I have two small kids so I am even more cautious. I wash my hands every time I put my hand in the tank.

Manjit

No mate I am not trying to freak you out... As you said its body is bent in C shape... That is one sign of fish TB... Cannot tell much without seeing properly.... I would suggest to google some s and compare it with your guppy....

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
He is swimming on the rocks and now shaking. I don't think I can save him.

He is bent like a C, loss of color and appetite, shaking, what looks like a sunken circle between his eyes. Those are the symptoms.

Aster

Well Known
He's not bent in a way that looks like TB to me, just seems to have lost his swim bladder balance. I agree, it doesn't look like he's going to make it.

You could try dropping him in a bowl of ice water... But clove oil is usually the recommended, "painless" way.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Ok good. I will have to try the ice thing when I get home. I had something I had to go to today unfortunately.

Coradee

Resident Scouser
Please do not just drop him in ice water, have a read of this thread on more humane methods of euthanasia

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Please do not just drop him in ice water, have a read of this thread on more humane methods of euthanasia

I will definitely read this. Thank you.

My guppy has passed. Now what do I need to do to my tank? Do a water change and add prime? Or do I need to do anything else? I have no clue why he would have gotten swim bladder as my parameters were good. He took a turn for the worse after my water change on Tuesday.

PetLover418

Well Known
I'm sorry for your loss. By the way, is there a caresheet on fish tb? Did the fish die naturally, or did you put it down?

oldbean

He's not bent in a way that looks like TB to me, just seems to have lost his swim bladder balance. I agree, it doesn't look like he's going to make it.

You could try dropping him in a bowl of ice water... But clove oil is usually the recommended, "painless" way.

I have to say dropping him in ice water... Sick man, really sick.

My guppy has passed. Now what do I need to do to my tank? Do a water change and add prime? Or do I need to do anything else? I have no clue why he would have gotten swim bladder as my parameters were good. He took a turn for the worse after my water change on Tuesday.

SB can also come from over feeding.

Aster

Well Known
I have to say dropping him in ice water... Sick man, really sick.

I've actually seen sites recommend that method for tropical fish, but I've learned my lesson.

oldbean

I've actually seen sites recommend that method for tropical fish, but I've learned my lesson.

That's really bloody cruel!

Clive oil is humane, it's like the lethal injection when you put your old dog down at the vets.

But ice water to induce a heart attack? God I hope no one never does that.

Aster

Well Known

It's actually listed on this pretty reputable website. As far as I know, it doesn't cause a heart attack, just slows the body down. Yes, clove oil is definitely the better option, just that OP stated that he/she didn't have it at the time. I'm not going to argue any more on this topic.

oldbean

It's actually listed on this pretty reputable website. As far as I know, it doesn't cause a heart attack, just slows the body down. Yes, clove oil is definitely the better option, just that OP stated that he/she didn't have it at the time. I'm not going to argue any more on this topic.

Not arguing mate, just saying its cruel.

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
He died naturally when I was gone. I did not put him in ice water!!! I reAlized how cruel that was. I did not think I was overfeeding. One small flake for 4 guppies. They ate it all within 30 seconds. What other foods should I supplement?

Manjit

Yup's I agree... Clove oil is much better.... Ice water is for small sized tropical fishes.... But not as painless way as clove oil...

Aster

Well Known
Swim bladder can be caused by other things, overfeeding is just one cause. That doesn't sound like overfeeding to me.

oldbean

He died naturally when I was gone. I did not put him in ice water!!! I reAlized how cruel that was. I did not think I was overfeeding. One small flake for 4 guppies. They ate it all within 30 seconds. What other foods should I supplement?

Good on you!

Definitely not over feeding then.

Frozen bloodworms is a favourite. My Betta loves frozen shrimp and krill (In fact he refuses to touch anything else).

OP
MissCap

MissCap

Well Known
Good on you!

Definitely not over feeding then.

Frozen bloodworms is a favourite. My Betta loves frozen shrimp and krill (In fact he refuses to touch anything else).

Where do I buy those? I forgot to ask my LFS if they sell any. Petsmart and Petco are 1 1/2 hrs away. Would freeze dried bloodworms be ok?

oldbean

Where do I buy those? I forgot to ask my LFS if they sell any. Petsmart and Petco are 1 1/2 hrs away. Would freeze dried bloodworms be ok?

I'm in the UK and I get mind from eBay:

Well people say not to feed dried food as it expands in the stomach but as long as you soak it for 10 minutes first it's fine IMO. I've been feeding my giant goldies dried food all their lives (sons are 10) and they're awesome.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
My guppies normally get anything from flakes to frozen brine shrimp (shrimp pellets, fresh veggies that are in there for snails/plec that they just can't resist taking a bite of).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RiverFisher87
Replies
Views
squidny

Did You Know...

Dolfan has a good thread on Seachem plant fertilizers:
Seachem Fertilizers And What They Do

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop