Guppy with Fin Rot

1. K

KayceeElder1121 New Member Member

My young male cobra guppy had fun rot and I have been doing 25-50% water changes every week, I also use MELAFIX to cure the fin rot. This has been going on for about 2 months just 2 weeks ago I noticed that his tail is getting shorter and shorter, now he barley has a tail. He can swim good and is eating and even breeding with the females still, I can see it takes him more effort to swim because he is using a wiggle motion with his whole body. I can see that the fin rot is still there. He is still active and alert, I just feel bad. Any ideas on what I should do?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

3. Z

ZeusF6 New Member Member

Usually when tail rot gets to an advance stage you need a strong antibiotic but use with caution as antibiotics will kill many if all the bacteria in your tank (Consult your pet store). I've used Melafix in the past for a sick fish that had severely nipped fins,dorsal and tail and it went successfully so I do rate Melafix. If you don't want to go down the path of antibiotic based meds you could also try aquarium salt with the melafix and see if that works, the salt and the melafix should help kill the bacteria on what's attacking the fish and assist it in regrowing.

You could also have other fish nipping at his tail, which could be the main issue. I recommend that you put up a picture on this thread so we can get a good look at it.