Guppy with erratic swimming, can't stay upright

Jessiekate33

HI all,

28l tank, 1 male guppy resident who has been acting strangely, swimming but rolling to both sides, tonight has started to get caught upside down and struggles to get back upright, though does eventually. Sitting at the top of the tank and still coming to the front when I look in on him.

Ph - tested twice in the last couple of days at the pet shop. First time was 7.5 so they recommended I use pH down to treat. Seemed to perk up a little todat. Did this and small water change today (3 days later) and second test she said 7.7. Limited confidence in today's testing though....the colour to me looked like 7.2 not 7.7. unsure whether to treat again?

First and second test both said ok with ammonia and nitrate.

A few months ago he had some tank mates and they were all a bit nitpicky. I thought he had fin rot so treated as such twice but then only realised a couple of days ago when I bought replacement filters that they had charcoal in them. Have put treatment in again hence the green water, but the more I watch him the more I think swim bladder, so I put the filters back in for fear of creating bad water. Tried to put some pea in for him to eat (using a net to keep it up high) but he's not interested. Worried he's getting super stressed and tired trying to right himself?

Not sure what to do from here...please see the photo attached, difficult to explain his swimming in words, but he rolls from one side to the other while swimming and then occasionally flips over to his back then panics trying to get back the right way. I took a video but can't upload it??

Attachments

• IMG20191201210404.jpg
    IMG20191201210404.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20191201210337.jpg
    IMG20191201210337.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20191201135121.jpg
    IMG20191201135121.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 80

Jessiekate33

Sorry I forgot, also put some aquarium salt in, a heaped tablespoon as suggested by the API bottle for 20l. I know a little less than suggested but figured it was better not to overdo it?

kallililly1973

Welcome here!! Looks to be bloated and gasping for air which I believe could be a water quality issue and overfeeding possibly. Try to feed it a deshelled pea and fast it for a day. Are you using test strips? I would reccomend getting your water tested with something like an API liquid test kit. That way you can be sure the tank is cycled. I wouldn't be adding anything to try to adjust the PH its better to have a stable PH than adding things to the tank and it fluctuating all over the place. The fish will adapt to the slight changes. Also the salt isn't the best idea IMO. I would be doing daily 25% WC's till you can get accurate Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH readings with the liquid kit.
If you want to upload a video here first set it up on Youtube then copy and paste the link to your post.

Jessiekate33

Hey
Welcome here!! Looks to be bloated and gasping for air which I believe could be a water quality issue and overfeeding possibly. Try to feed it a deshelled pea and fast it for a day. Are you using test strips? I would reccomend getting your water tested with something like an API liquid test kit. That way you can be sure the tank is cycled. I wouldn't be adding anything to try to adjust the PH its better to have a stable PH than adding things to the tank and it fluctuating all over the place. The fish will adapt to the slight changes. Also the salt isn't the best idea IMO. I would be doing daily 25% WC's till you can get accurate Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH readings with the liquid kit.
If you want to upload a video here first set it up on Youtube then copy and paste the link to your post.

Hey there,

Thanks for your response! The pet shop used liquid tests but they were still matched against colour charts. That's what I mean by I thought it looked like 7.2.

I've tried feeding a pea a few times but he's not interested... Perhaps if I fast him he'll eat some?

Water change was yesterday so I'll do another today. He seems to be turned over less today but still not swimming well, will keep trying!

Gone

In my personal experience I've never seen a fish in that condition survive. Losing the ability to swim upright is one of the final stages.

Jessiekate33

HI guys, just an update. Still swimming in the same way. Bought a test kit, results are attached, did a 30% water change after with prime and some aquarium salt. First time I've used the test, but it looks normal to me? Had treated with aqua one broad spectrum cure, but it hasn't seemed to improve anything so filters are back in and water changed.

One extra thing though, he seemed to have clear string like things caught on his tail - I pulled them off as best I could without stressing him out too much, but now I'm wondering if it's some type of worm or parasite? I can see them floating in the tank now, originally thought they were hairs as we have many other animals.

Could I treat for worms without hurting him if it's not it? Just at a loss now of what else to do, haven't been able to get any help from pet stores who are stumped too ??

Attachments

• IMG20191210204200.jpg
    IMG20191210204200.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG20191210203825.jpg
    IMG20191210203825.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG20191210203806.jpg
    IMG20191210203806.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG20191210203858.jpg
    IMG20191210203858.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG20191210203841.jpg
    IMG20191210203841.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 64

Jessiekate33

Also has anyone done a harness for a guppy? No idea how to make one that small

Axemaniac88

Could be swim bladder disease, which unfortunately doesn't bode well. You could try adding an air stone to maybe at least help with the gasping at the top of the water?

Jessiekate33

Yeah I thought swim bladder originally too but I've stopped feeding and tried the pea and nothing has helped, have always had success doing that in the past?

Axemaniac88

If you can, try islolating him and then try to feed him the shelled pea by putting it on the end of a toothpick and placing it near him so he can try and eat it with as little effort as possible. If it's close to him, then he may show more interest in eating it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AGuppylover
Replies
Views
HupGupp
Replies
Views
HupGupp
  • Question
  • tearingwaif17