Guppy With Dropsy Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ms. Jay, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ms. JayNew MemberMember

Okay, so I had small period where I fell behind in water changes on a tank. The guppy I had in the tank started to become bloated, uninterested in food, and was always hiding. Based off the symptoms I believe he had dropsy. I have since removed him from the tank and put him in a quarantine tank. I have been doing salt baths the past two days, and the guppy seems to be more active now and is beginning to eat; however, he still has the bloated belly and pinecone scales. My question do you think he'll make it or should I put him down. I heard that once pineconing occurs there is usually no way to cure dropsy. Any knowledge on the dropsy subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. Crafty CichlidWell Known MemberMember

My experiences with dropsy come down to: make it comfortable, and help it cross the rainbow bridge when it looks distressed. Only seen one fish come back from it, and that was a guppy that I actually (misguidedly) tried to feed to my cichlids when I was new to the type. She out smarted them, and never got ate, then her scales flattened out, so I put he back in the guppy tank. Go figure.

3. FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Dropsy can be treated with epsom salt baths and the medication kanaplex. Epsom salt baths must be PURE Epsom with NO ADDITIVES . 1 tablespoon per gallon for around 10-20 minutes. Epsom salt helps relieve fluids and bloating, but does not address the underlying infection. In order to do that kanaplex must be used. It is effective against the dropsy infection (typically aeromonas bacteria) and is easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing the efficacy. If the fish is seriously pineconed and having a really hard time, then euthanasia may in my opinion right choice. Dropsy is the built up of fluid due to internal infection. Typically fluid being from liver or kidney dysfunction.