Guppy Turning Green?!?!

  • Thread starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
My feeder guppy is a mutt bland color she is pregnant about 27 days in ish and she stays in the corner of the tank she is all alone in the 3 gallon other than a small pleco PLS DONT TALK ABOUT THE TANK SIZE IM UPGRADING and from where her tail fin starts it is green like an algae color is she gaining color?? she is only 4-5 months and she never got any new color since the first month PLS HELP
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Can you post a pic?
What is your water change schedule?
What water conditoner/ dechlorinator do you use?
What are your ammonia/nitrite/ nitrate levels?
What's the temp?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to rule most things out
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Can you post a pic?
What is your water change schedule?
What water conditoner/ dechlorinator do you use?
What are your ammonia/nitrite/ nitrate levels?
What's the temp?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to rule most things out
Schedule is about 20-25% a week I use Prime (Seachem) and tap water conditioner from API brand ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is pretty much 0 temp is 72-78 she is also pregnant about 27 days in if I didnt mention already

Marcus_Guppies said:
Schedule is about 20-25% a week I use Prime (Seachem) and tap water conditioner from API brand ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is pretty much 0 temp is 72-78 she is also pregnant about 27 days in if I didnt mention already
picture give me a second

Here’s pictures
 

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Honestly I'm not really sure what it is. Do you mean the color at the base of the tail? Some guppies do change color, sometimes for no reason, sometimes for stress. It could even be hormonal.
Try changing 25-30% of the water daily for a week. If the behavior changes (good or bad) make a note of it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Honestly I'm not really sure what it is. Do you mean the color at the base of the tail? Some guppies do change color, sometimes for no reason, sometimes for stress. It could even be hormonal.
Try changing 25-30% of the water daily for a week. If the behavior changes (good or bad) make a note of it.
okay could it also be from growing??

Marcus_Guppies said:
okay could it also be from growing??
it is the base of the tail also do younger guppies give birth to less fry?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Yes, coloration can change from them growing

And yes, generally younger guppies have less fry
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
And yes, generally younger guppies have less fry
ok good thanks i have a three gal upgrding to a 10 so hopefully there arent . tooo many left
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Since it's such a small tank, there will likely be very few that make it, if any. Course, there apparently are some strains that aren't cannibalistic, but most are.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Honestly I'm not really sure what it is. Do you mean the color at the base of the tail? Some guppies do change color, sometimes for no reason, sometimes for stress. It could even be hormonal.
Try changing 25-30% of the water daily for a week. If the behavior changes (good or bad) make a note of it.
Rtessy said:
Since it's such a small tank, there will likely be very few that make it, if any. Course, there apparently are some strains that aren't cannibalistic, but most are.
Why very few? The room in the tank
 

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,900
Reaction score
8,835
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Marcus_Guppies said:
Schedule is about 20-25% a week I use Prime (Seachem) and tap water conditioner from API brand
I just wanted to mention that there is no need to use both Prime and API tap water conditioner. Prime is first and foremost a water conditioner with the added benefit of neutralizing low amounts of ammonia if present. If I were you I would just use one or the other but not both. Personally though, I would choose to use the Prime.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Marcus_Guppies said:
Why very few? The room in the tank
Because the mom and pleco will try to eat them, and since they don't have a lot of room to hide, most, if not all, won't make it
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Marcus_Guppies

Valued Member
Messages
218
Reaction score
27
Points
68
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Because the mom and pleco will try to eat them, and since they don't have a lot of room to hide, most, if not all, won't make it
what if they were only in there for less than a day because if she isnt pregnant when i come home Im seperating ASap
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
How much cover do you have in the tank?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Looks like a few will survive, but they fare better in thin leaved plants (hornwort, anacharis, guppy grass, java moss, subwassertang) but that clump of plants looks promising
 

FishAddictFamily

New Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
9
Points
8
Might want to upgrade to a bit more than a 10gallon if you’re keeping a pleco.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,479
Points
448
Experience
4 years
FishAddictFamily said:
Might want to upgrade to a bit more than a 10gallon if you’re keeping a pleco.
Personally I think bristlenose and rubberlips are fine in a ten, but pretty much any others won't work, especially commons
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom