Guppy turned aggressive

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Taritus, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Taritus

Taritus Valued Member Member

So a while back I bought a guppy at a very young stage and it has grown in my 20 gallon
    However i thought he was a female due to the rod looking like a fin (the store clerk said he didn't see a rod so kinda assumed m mistake)
    He's become quite mean to one of my balloon mollies (one died the other day wondering if he killed her )
    Is their anything I can do

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

Separate him. He is probably trying to breed with her because he doesn't have a female guppy to chase. Single males usually are aggressive because they are stressed and can be for one because they are the only male, or two there are no female guppies in the tank.
    I would separate him and give him his own tank.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there! I agree with the above information, except if you don't want to get him his own tank, try getting him a male buddy or two (two would be better, imo) and seeing how he does with that. You could also rehome him if you can't afford the above options. Also, yes, he's going to harass any girl mollies or guppies, that's why you have to have a m/f ratio of guppies, that way not just one fish is getting all the attention.

4. babynemo

I think it's better to keep the males in even numbers. Since if it's an odd number they might pick on one. Three may be okay and three may not be okay. It all depends on the personality but I think if more are added they might gang up even more on the females.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

My male guppy did that to a platy I had. Constantly following him around nonstop. He never hurt him but I could tell the platy was stressed out so I returned the platy and got a couple more male guppies. And I don't see that aggression anymore. So maybe get a couple more guppy friends for him?

6. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Well I had 3 female mollies and one died while I was in Sparta for shooting
    So get male or female guppys

7. babynemo

Unless you want to deal with tons of guppy fry, get more males.

8. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Alright hope they don't mass murder each other

9. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I had 3 males, and after a couple weeks of normalcy, 1 suddenly went berserk and started attacking the other 2. Strangely, it was the bully that died inexplicably, but the remaining 2 males have now been getting along just fine for months. The only females I have in the tank are platys, and my guppies don't bother them at all.

10. OP
    OP
    Taritus

The only females I have are mollies but he only bullies one in particular

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice