Guppy Tank

1. radar Member Member

Well I presently have two strains of Moscow guppies. Three male and four female Blue and a trio of Red. Was planning on each strain in separate tanks a twenty nine for he Red Moscow and a thirty gallon for the Blue Moscow. Well the problem is the twenty nine presently has three Rosy Barbs in it and they don't seem compatible with the fish in my other tanks. I've had them for two or three years (only fish buy I regret but it is what it is). So I've ended up dividing the 30 gallon and put males on one side and females on the other. Don't want mixed strains. That means ten guppies in my thirty gallon. If I want to breed them I would need to be done in separate tank. Anyone else do it this way?

2. Sean Smith Member Member

I've only never separated guppies cause I'm always looking for cool cross breeds ( although I have wild and fancy guppies in together ) and I have gotten a wild/cobra guppy body and cobra/fancy red delta tail guppy and it's fairly cool . But I would suggest to get 5-10 gallon aquarium you set up as a special strain only breeding tank . Let them do their thing till the female is ready to give "birth" and take the male out and bam a tank dedicated as a grow out tank till those guppies are mature . Good way to keep a perfect record of who deeded with who and able to get the exact results you want . While it also takes care of the whole adult guppies eating the babies . Good luck

Also don't try to breed the same batch with each other . Try to breed between different batches if you do breed your guys babies to prevent genetic issues . Have two batches and mate 2 male and females from each . Then use one female and male from the opposite spawn and mate those etc etc

3. radar Member Member

Thanks for your replies. Interesting you mention not breeding within batches of fry. This seems to be a debated issue. I have six fry of Blues in a ten gallon now. They are about two months. Still little to no color and not able to sex yet. My intention is to keep the nicer ones an give any others to a local fish store. I don't have space for too many. I've designated two tanks for guppy only tanks.

4. Sean Smith Member Member

I've notice that breeding the same batch has higher chances for immune disorders or scoliosis . So I found breeding different batches allows for healthier fish

5. Aster Well Known Member Member

Inbreeding in fish isn't as big of a problem as it is in mammals. It's a pretty common practice to cross daughters back to the father or sons to the mother to improve the traits of the strain. You should be able to go a few generations without noticing problems, however, crossing two similar lines can keep up the health of strain without losing the quality.

6. Sean Smith Member Member

Yeah that's true for most fish but guppies are already typically so inbreed that it doesn't help to continue it