Guppy Tank With Males Vs Males And Females 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DixieTheDog, Apr 19, 2019.

1. DixieTheDogValued MemberMember

Hello I have a 20 gallon tall planted tank with 5 RCS and I am thinking about buying 3 guppies to add to the later stocking. I can’t decide if I should get 3 males or 1 male and 2 females. I want them to breed but I can’t keep them in the tank because the tank will be over stocked with the later stocking. The later stocking will be:

1 Pearl Gourami
    8 Harlequin Rasboras
    4 Sterbai Corydoras
    3 guppies that I am getting today
    5 Red cherry shrimp already in the tank

Thanks in advance,

DixieTheDog

2. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

1m, and 2 f.

3. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I always go with the ratio of: 1 male for every 3-4 females. Although that's with Platys though, but guppies you can think of it in the same way though pretty much...

4. DixieTheDogValued MemberMember

Ok thank you. Will they just eat the babies or what will I do with the fry?

5. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Leave ‘em in whilst monitoring any additions to the overall bio-load. But if they start to have a lot of babies, then you can move the fry to another tank, or donate ‘em to your LFS, as I do every 6 months or so.

6. MargauxNew MemberMember

Male guppies are a lot prettier. If you want the pretty factor, go with only males. I have males and females because I have built-in fry control in the form of the voracious Loach gang, but I may go all-male again one day because the males are just so pretty

7. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I would do all males. I tried having 1 male and 3 females in a 29 gallon, and was quickly over run with fry. That was my first and last experience with livebearers.

I'm also not sure the pearl in a 20 gallon is the best situation. They grow to 4ish inches and many sites suggest no smaller than 30 gallons. I've got a group of 4 in my 120 gallon and they are extremely social with each other. I always recommend people get at least 2 females for companionship

8. DixieTheDogValued MemberMember

Ok, so I decided to buy 1 male and 2 females. One of the females is swimming sideways in the bag and I think there is something wrong with her. Here is a picture.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  9. DixieTheDogValued MemberMember

10. corey SMUNew MemberMember

Please have a plan for what you’ll do with the fry! They reproduce like rabbits! I had to finally separate my males and females. Even then, the females kept having babies—yes, it’s true that they stay pregnant even without a male around.

11. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

The gourami does not look well. As i previously stated, I do not believe a pearl, let alone 3, should be kept in a 20 gallon tank. But maybe others will have different opinions.

Males will continually harass the females and there isn't much space for them to hide from him.

12. DixieTheDogValued MemberMember

Ok then What should I do instead of a pearl gourami

13. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Dwarf or honey gourami would fit nicely in a 20 gallon. Be sure you watch the dwarfs for any sign of dwarf gourami disease though. And just be conscious of the genders, as males will typically fight each other.

14. MamaLlama76Valued MemberMember

Places to rehome unwanted guppy fry: Talk to local biology teachers at nearby schools to see if they want some to study genetic inheritance models with their students (middle school up to college) or daycare/pre-k up to elementary teachers as classroom pets. Doctors or veterinarians offices might also take some off your hands. Sometimes in warmer areas, farmers like to put them in livestock ponds to control mosquitoes that bit their animals, particularly, all natural/organic farmers than prefer not to use insecticides. Depends on your state/local wildlife regulations though for that option.

Relatives, neighbors and co-workers children are also good for rehoming unwanted guppies. I still remember the first guppies I got, were totally free ones I got from my step-dad's aunt when I was about 10. They were very much a mixture of mutt-type "fancy" guppies, Auntie Hazel called them. Studying pictures of various guppy types online with my kids recently, I believe a high percentage of the fish she gave me had a significant amount of Endler guppy genetics and they were hardier than the average guppies you can get these days. Auntie Hazel had all these fish (easily a couple hundred divided 2/3-1/3 ratio of space) in a 20 or 29 gallon, unheated, light rarely turned on, vintage metal framed tank and this was 30 odd years ago, might have had an air stone/pump and I am not so sure she had a filter on it. My old auntie passed on 5 or so years back, well into her 90's. Sadly hadn't seen her since 1994 (was planning to live with her as a farm manager while I was in college, but there was so much dust and pollen in her house that I had an asthma attack when I first visited after I graduated high school. It didn't work out.) We were pen-pals for a long time after my folks moved from OR to MO, on all things horses and fishy. I have no clue what happened to her fish since she died.
    A nice fish friendship with a young family member or neighbor can be a beautiful experience for that young person and a few free pets can inspire a lifelong hobby for them, perhaps even a future business.