guppy tank mates

viper7

What other fish can I keep ok with my Guppys looking for something a little bigg.
Its a 24x15x17 tank 6xguppy 1 times cory...

viper7

SHPEPoser

Be very careful with the gouramis. They are semI aggressive. I had them and they ended up being fin nippers. Just keep an eye on them. You may be safe if you move your decor around. They are pretty territorial so moving decor keeps them from claiming territory. I would go with Tetra. They are the safest bet.

ssh_condor

And zebra danio's arn't aggressive? When I had mine they were like piranah's!

genie

No, as in German Blue or Gold Ram Cichlids. They are a community peacful cichlid that only gets to 3 inches or so. ;D

Sabi

What about Angels'?
They get to a nice size and get along well with my guppy's

tan.b

tetras can get nippy, angels can get nippy as can gouramis. with guppies because they have long tails and flowing fins they can be irisistable to many fish so keep an eye on them. if fins start disappearing remove the fin nippers!

rosebud

hI I had  2 Dwarf Gouramis in my tank with my tetra and the male GouramI killed 2 of them had to move him out to another tank

mYa

hI I am new here..
I had 2 zebra danios (hold on..they look like zebra danios but orange in color)..very aggressive and attacked my swordtails & guppies..so I moved them to a smaller jar..now my guppies and swordtails are safe

armadillo

Would guppies nip on otos? Otos are small, clean algae and very peaceful. Am kind of wondering this for myself as we're about to start a species tank for guppies only, but we could do with a 'professional' algae eater.

genie

they should be ok-- BUT.... my parents have a guppy species tank and can't keep an otto alive no matter what they try. So I don't know if it is the guppies picking on the ottos or if the ottos are just weak to begin with.

armadillo

What do they keep to keep the algae in order in their guppy tank?

tan.b

guppies and oto's are both very peaceful fish and they should be fine together. oto's are known to be very sensitive when acclimating and many people do struggle with keeping them. just take it very s-l-o-w-l-y when you acclimate them. if they do die the guppies will eat them. all fish will eat any fish that is already dead. but a live oto and guppy shouldnt bother each other. tan

armadillo

Aren't guppy fin nippers at times?

Oh, and I didn't drip acclimate. I used the water cup method (pour increasing amounts of aquarium water in, you know, the one you've used for your guppies). I read I had to use the drip acclimate method for my otos. We'll see. They're in the tank since yesterday and very nervous.

Too dumb to find their food too, so the molly fry gets there before them. Outwitted by molly fry, honestly...

tan.b

armadillo said:
Aren't guppy fin nippers at times?

Oh, and I didn't drip acclimate. I used the water cup method (pour increasing amounts of aquarium water in, you know, the one you've used for your guppies). I read I had to use the drip acclimate method for my otos. We'll see. They're in the tank since yesterday and very nervous.

Too dumb to find their food too, so the molly fry gets there before them. Outwitted by molly fry, honestly...
lol!!! molly fry will do anything for food!! even steal from their tank mates! no morals at all : !
i've not heard anything about guppies being fin nippers. male guppies will chase female guppies (boys will be boys afterall , but i've not known any harm come from it. just tires the poor girls out! be interested to hear if anyone has had issues with guppies fin nipping. I can only go on my guppies and others i've read about :-\.

armadillo

Oh well, that's reassuring (that you havne't seen or heard of guppy fin nipping). If only I could remember where I'd read it. Could be a couple of alarmist or exceptional posts.

tan.b

armadillo said:
Oh well, that's reassuring (that you havne't seen or heard of guppy fin nipping). If only I could remember where I'd read it. Could be a couple of alarmist or exceptional posts.
there's always the odd rogue fish that doesn't do what it says on the tin! like humans I guess......the majority are fine, but there'll always be a few wrong uns!! I blame the parents....my guppies are very sociable!! - maybe cos they're not frustrated like some guppies?! I have girls for the boys! that is what their life revolves around after all - if you know what I mean!

armadillo

He he he. That certainly seems to be true here in molly land.

darkwolf29a

tan.b said:
armadillo said:
there's always the odd rogue fish that doesn't do what it says on the tin! like humans I guess......the majority are fine, but there'll always be a few wrong uns!! I blame the parents....my guppies are very sociable!! - maybe cos they're not frustrated like some guppies?! I have girls for the boys! that is what their life revolves around after all - if you know what I mean!
I've been removing all my problem children, the fin nippers, from the 55 gallon. Giving my boys and girls plenty of room for...fun!!! The only thing in there are some ghost shrimp and a HUGE pleco, relatively speaking of course. LOL

Stradius011

mYa said:
hI I am new here..
I had 2 zebra danios (hold on..they look like zebra danios but orange in color)..very aggressive and attacked my swordtails  & guppies..so I moved them to  a smaller jar..now my guppies and swordtails are safe
That's probably because you only had 2 of them. They like to school.

mYa

hI all,
I lost 1 of my zebra danio ..died affter the other zebra danio attacked her..so there's only 1 left in the jar..

can I just ask..my guppy fry (20 of them) started to show their colors..on the body n fin..but I still could not tell whether they are male/female...how soon can I tell? They are 3 weeks old..

Stradius011

mYa said:
hI all,
I lost 1 of my zebra danio ..died affter the other zebra danio attacked her..so there's only 1 left in the jar..
jar? You need to give them AT LEAST 10 gallons since they like to school.

darkwolf29a

Stradius011 said:
mYa said:
hI all,
jar? You need to give them AT LEAST 10 gallons since they like to school.
I would say give them more than one tankmate too. Usually with fin nippers, you end up with master and slave relationship, with the slave getting whooped up on constantly. If you give them a few more tankmates, at least, you will have more fish to spread the aggression onto. That, usually, calms things down a bit.

Top Bottom