Guppy Tank Mates For Brackish Tank (and Plants Too)

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning on setting up a brackish guppy tank with either a 55/75 gallon. What do you guys recommend plantwise and for tank mates? Substrate? Everything and basics!

Kohlt22

Reaction score
Somewhat difficult to take care of, but you possibly could invest in a violet (dragon) goby. I have one that's been through **** & back because of incorrect information but he is healthy as ever as of now. You won't ever have to worry about one eating your fish, they are gentle giants and will go crazy with a soft sand substrate. Plants are a huge plus as well because that's where they nest. But don't get more than one, they grow fairly long (in length) and are aggresive towards their own species.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kohlt22 said:
Somewhat difficult to take care of, but you possibly could invest in a violet (dragon) goby. I have one that's been through & back because of incorrect information but he is healthy as ever as of now. You won't ever have to worry about one eating your fish, they are gentle giants and will go crazy with a soft sand substrate. Plants are a huge plus as well because that's where they nest. But don't get more than one, they grow fairly long (in length) and are aggresive towards their own species.
That sounds absolutely gorgeous! And you don't really see a lot of gentle giants when it comes to fish. Is it really expensive? Sounds like it would be well worth the money. And I'm happy it goes nuts in sand, as I'm going to get about 100 pounds of pool filter sand when the time comes.
seth rodgers said:
female mollies
Hybridization is a big problem, and is the main reason I don't want mollies, unless it would be a single sterile swordtail male.

Kohlt22

Reaction score
FriarThomasIII said:
That sounds absolutely gorgeous! And you don't really see a lot of gentle giants when it comes to fish. Is it really expensive? Sounds like it would be well worth the money. And I'm happy it goes nuts in sand, as I'm going to get about 100 pounds of pool filter sand when the time comes.

Hybridization is a big problem, and is the main reason I don't want mollies, unless it would be a single sterile swordtail male.
Yeah, they are pretty wicked. Kind of like an eel or a snake. They aren't expensive at all, maybe $10 max. I know the Walmart here sells them, but sadly they sell them in freshwater even though they are brackish. So if you do go that route, you probably will have to acclimate slowly. Mine is currently content with the salinity at 1.010, I don't think I would raise it any higher than that. One thing to remember is make sure your lid is tight because if another fish gets to close or spooks it, the goby will shoot straight up. (Well, mine does at least).

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kohlt22 said:
Yeah, they are pretty wicked. Kind of like an eel or a snake. They aren't expensive at all, maybe $10 max. I know the Walmart here sells them, but sadly they sell them in freshwater even though they are brackish. So if you do go that route, you probably will have to acclimate slowly. Mine is currently content with the salinity at 1.010, I don't think I would raise it any higher than that. One thing to remember is make sure your lid is tight because if another fish gets to close or spooks it, the goby will shoot straight up. (Well, mine does at least).
Wow. That seems really cool. Are there freshwater fish and inverts that can acclimate to brackish? I've heard clown plecos will, and danio rerio will. Or is it better to not do that?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies can acclimatise to brackish - even salt - water. They come from similar conditions to mollies, aka the brackish environment. Guppies will be fine in a brackish water tank.

Now, as for other fish to add have you considered instead of the goby to keep smaller fish (like bumblebee gobies and glassfish) or consider doing (my dream tank) with some mudskippers in a palduarium?

Some plants that can do well, especially in low end brackish are:
- java ferns
- java moss (potentually other mosses as well...?)
- duckweed - that thing can survive anything
- some say bolbitis, never tried

Edit: amano shrimp would be a great choice, as well as brackish crabs such as fiddlers - depending on stocking.

Cyberknight0517

Reaction score
Ik most, if not all, live bearers can acclimatize towards brackish and eventually marine (mollies, platys, guppys, etc.) BB gobies are awesome and adorable I like puffers personally and ik some people might say that you need to gradually change the salinity into brackish but I'm gonna be real with you my salinity is all over the place, all these fish that tolerate salinity changes are called euryhaline fish and they're from mangroves and whatnot where the ocean meets freshwater so salinity changes are pretty prominent in those areas, again that's my experience anyway maybe I just have hardy fish but my mollies and puffers have been fine with it

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cyberknight0517 said:
Ik most, if not all, live bearers can acclimatize towards brackish and eventually marine (mollies, platys, guppys, etc.) BB gobies are awesome and adorable I like puffers personally and ik some people might say that you need to gradually change the salinity into brackish but I'm gonna be real with you my salinity is all over the place, all these fish that tolerate salinity changes are called euryhaline fish and they're from mangroves and whatnot where the ocean meets freshwater so salinity changes are pretty prominent in those areas, again that's my experience anyway maybe I just have hardy fish but my mollies and puffers have been fine with it
This is an awfully old post, but I might do it in the future ****

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom