Guppy Tank Crash

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by UniqueShark, Apr 24, 2017.

1. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

Not sure if it's considered a crash but I went from 20-30+ guppies to 3. My colony has been destroyed. Anyways, here's an update on the symptoms.

Symptoms of the most recent deaths have changed a little from the start. They start with a white patch on top of their head. Then their pectoral fins narrow. Their mouths are stuck open and "wiggle" in place.

When i find them dead, the white patch turns into a little fluffy patch of fuzz, happened on 6, and their mouths are wide open.

2. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I have no information. But I'm so sorry - that is a substantial loss. :(

3. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

It seems to only affect juveniles and adults as my fry that are in the same tank are still alive. I've only seen 2 or 3 dead

4. Neptune334

Neptune334 Valued Member Member

What are your water parameters? I think that this could be columnaris or some sort of fungus. Do you have any pictures? Keep in mind that I am not an expert in diseases, so you may want to wait until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

5. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

On another thread, columnaris and tetrahymena were assumed. I've treated for the diseases as best i could over the last few weeks.

6. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Here's one that just died. She doesn't have a fungus but has some red in her, maybe it's just organs. b9cf3e16e6d100d9e4d00562a61bc105.jpg here are my last three. I predict the top one will be gone tomorrow(she has her mouth ajar and a sunken belly). The other two look perfect, the male is large and the female is fat 5d61b78a7e053be422b7f07c0376a05c.jpg
    I've never been able to count all of my guppies until now :/

7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that:(
    You should probably separate the remaining healthy guppies if you can.

8. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

I've been separating them. Doesn't help

9. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Can't find the one i predicted to die. Did a large waterchange to prepare for any more ammonia

10. OP
    OP
    UniqueShark

Only the male and fry left

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice