Guppy Tank Advice

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by A White Cloud Minnow, May 23, 2018.

1. A White Cloud Minnow

A White Cloud Minnow Valued Member Member

Hey FishLore!

I need some advice on stocking my 10 gallon cycled tank. I have asked around on other fish forums, and mostly got a yes (on my question) but FishLore is by far my favorite and IMO, most knowledgeable.

I have been researching many different fresh water fish, and have decided that guppies are best for my tank. They had all the qualities I needed; easy to keep, not aggressive (in most circumstances), and don’t need CONSTANT supervision.

I have been researching them for a little over 3 weeks, while I was waiting for my tank to cycle, and found that they only have one major problem: if you keep males and females in the same tank, they spawn like CRAZY. I don’t want to do a same sex tank, because the females are kind of drab and I have had many people tell me that males can get aggressive towards each other when kept without females.

I am planning to put 1 male and 2 females, as the male needs to be outnumbered by females, (also so I can keep some fry :D) but don’t want to be overrun with fry. I was thinking that if I put a female betta in the tank, she would control the population a bit. I do have a backup 5 gallon on hand, so I would be ready if she turned out to be aggressive with the guppies, but otherwise would that work? I do need someway to get rid of the fry, and there is no LFSs in my area that accept donations or buy from any home breeders. Please no hate comments. I wish I could keep all of the fry, and I will make sure to provide adequate hiding places for them so they have a chance. I am accepting any advice you guys may have. Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

2. cody2posh

cody2posh Valued Member Member

So I have a 10gal setup for guppies and red cherry shrimp that I breed. Honestly they kinda keep themselves in check. Guppies have no problem eating their own fry, and my tank is heavily planted enough that right now even with 7 full grown adults and around 50 fry between 6weeks-2days old the nitrate builds up so slowly I could get away with once a month water changes and the shrimp would be fine (they'd succumb to poor water parameters before the guppies). I obviously change it more often but that's really just for visual quality.

Within a week the number of fry will probably have dropped to half as they compete for food or are eaten (the shrimp are a great way to keep a small tank clean and they can even have a negative net impact on your bioload). I have pics up in an album if you want to look at my setup.

Good luck and have fun!

3. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

So would getting a betta control the looulation enough so that I don’t need more then a 10 and 5 gallon tank? Or do I even need the betta?

EDIT— *population lol.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure the betta is the best choice, as they sometimes become very aggressive and will kill a lot of things or constantly harass brightly colored fish, like the male guppies. Of course, they'll try and eat what fits in their mouth, like fry and small snails, and some can make awesome community additions. You will want to have a spare 3 gallon set up just in case the female doesn't work out

5. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

I do have a 5 gallon ready for the female betta if it doesn’t work out, but females are normally less aggressive then males(although in my experience I have had some females who acted like the devil lol), and before I take her home, I will hold her up to the guppy tank in my LFS and see if she flares or anything. Of course, that’s not a foolproof method, but I will make sure to give her a nice home if it doesn’t work out. :)

EDIT— Also, is Amazon a good place to buy java moss? None of my LFSs have it stocked, and I need it for the fry.

6. cody2posh

I would really just stick with the guppies and let them work themselves up to a number the tank will sustain itself at, but to each their own!

7. Rtessy

Well, nevermind then, lol, you're totally fine! But a potentially better testing method is putting the betta in a see through cup and placing the betta in the guppy tank so you can observe the behavior of the betta while fish are actually swimming around her. If she flares at first but calms down it's a lil iffy but could still potentially work. I haven't ordered off Amazon, I did order off of aquabid, but I don't think it matters too much for java moss. Though most people end up not liking the growth pattern of it (I'm fine with it, it's just a common complaint) so you may want to try flame moss or Christmas moss or something, I know all of that is on aquabid, just a suggestion

8. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

I have heard that it grows very fast, but am willing to take the time to maintain it. It is also almost impossible to kill, which is good for me. I have no green thumb whatsoever lol. I don’t know if my LFS would let me test the beta with the guppies in their tank, but I see no problem with asking. Thanks for the advice!

9. Rtessy

Sure! And I'm the same way with plants, even my Java ferns are dying. The java moss is fine, and so is the sußwassertang, so that might be a nice moss thing to look into... I say moss thing because they keep reclassifying it, I think it classified as a fern now?
    But yeah, even just holding her up to the tank may work if you can't get her in it.

10. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

Alright, thanks for the suggestions! I’ll keep you guys updated on my tank and maybe make a thread on it because believe me, I am probably going to have issues with it. My luck is terrible sometimes :( hope that everything works out!

11. Rtessy

I hope it works out for you too! I have terrible luck as well, I have eight tanks, and I currently have issues in seven (knock on wood).... It's fun when everything goes nice and easy

12. cody2posh

Hey just wanted to let everyone know I started a member journal over my 10g guppy breeder. It's being updated at LEAST every other day (more when I have time) with pictures and videos of the guppy and RCS fry growing up, maturing, gaining their colors, growth rate, sexing, etc.

10g Guppy/rcs Breeding Adventure

If you guys like it, give the thread a follow to stay up to date with all the adorable guppy fry doing guppy fry things

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice