Guppy Tails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Heron, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

I have a 20G all in one tank in which I breed guppies. At the moment it contains 4 different male guppies and six females and about 12 fry. All was fine until today one male has a clamped tail and another has a fantail which is fraying at the tips. Both were fine yesterday. I have added an external filter and UV unit to the tank changed 20 percent water and performed a full test on the water. Ammonia 0 , nitrites 0, nitrate 5-10, pH 7.6, KH 5-6, GH 4. Temp 25.6 C
    I have some fungus/ finrot treatment but I haven't used it yet as last time I used it I had to completely re start the cycling of the tank. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Pictures?

3. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

I tried taking some pictures but I have a cheap phone with a poor camera and they came out so poor it was pointless posting them as you can barely even make out they are guppies. The guppy with the clamped tail was this morning hovering around almost vertically and the one with the ragged tail was behaving perfectly normally but his tail is looking worse and his colours seem to be fading. I decided to move both fish into my hospital/ quarantine tank. I have treated the hospital tank with interpet anti bacteria and interpet anti fungus and fin rot. I matched the pH , KH, and GH to the original tank and I added 3 g/l of aqualibrium salt. I will try to post pictures soon when I can borrow a better camera. I know interpet products are not very good but it's all my local shop stocks, I will try to order some better treatments online.

4. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

t hese are the best pictures I could get. The blue guppy with the clamped fins below has red dots developing on the tips of its tail

IMG_20190602_133310.jpg
    IMG_20190602_135059.jpg

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

The red dots and clamped fins sound like sepsis- which is essentially a systemic bacterial infection. And the other looks like either fin rot or other males nipping on fins.
    What test kit are you using? When did you do the last water change and how big a change and how often do you do them? The UV may help remove any bacteria present floating in the water.

I think that treatment you are giving them will do for now. I hope they improve soon. Keep us posted!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

The fact both these fish got I'll with different issues at the same time suggests to me something has stressed the fish. I don't know what. I have just done a full set of water tests and nothing has changed. I have another guppy ( a very gravid female ) that has started acting unusually in the same tank. I know behaviour changes when they are about to give birth so this may or may not be related. This fish is hiding under the bottom of the filter housing and not coming out for food. I use an NT labs aquarium lab test kit, I have used these for years and have found them to be good. I changed 25 percent of the water on Friday and I change 25 percent each week

I realised my pH test was past it's use by date so I opened a new bottle and retested my pH came out at 7 with the new test. I realised this was too low so I put in some pH up and retested still 7 so I added another dose and it was still 7. I have never had a pH so low with a kH of 5/6. I can't seem to increase the pH . The low pH could be the stress factor which has left the fish prone to disease. If the pH is still too low tomorrow I will try some bigger water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  7. WallowingInSelfPity

WallowingInSelfPityNew MemberMember

What about ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

8. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrate 2.5 - 5
    KH 5 .- 6
    PH 7
    GH 4 .- 5
    Temp 25.6
    Chlorine 0
    O2 - medium/high

9. OP
    OP
    Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Guppies seem to be my kryptonite. I got my first guppies when I got my first tank a long time ago. They lasted between 6 months and a year . Since then I have always had some guppies first in a community tank then later in their own tank. I have learned how to look after various other fish including some which are considered hard to keep but guppies continue to give me trouble. Guppies are supposed to be hardy and easy to keep but I find they give me constant problems. I know I should probably give up but I don't like to be beaten and I am determined to get on top of it. I still find many of my guppies die within a year but as they breed so often I don't run out. Possibly my problems are because they don't suit my very soft tap water. Does anyone else have problems?