Guppy tail rot?

1. JannaKaye Initiate Member

My male fancy guppy's tail is shredded! I thought it was tail nipping, but today I noticed red places! What do I need to do?
    Picture: [​IMG]

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

If it's tail nipping, you need to figure out who the aggressor is and separate them. If it's fin rot, QT him and do large daily water changes. Clean water alone should be enough to heal him, but if it's severe you can also treat with aquarium salt or melafix.

3. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Jan...

Can't tell from the pic. If you have a bully in the tank, then add some individual stems of a fast growing, floating plant like Hornwort. It will provide a hiding place away from the bully. If you have a bacterial infection, then you have a water problem. It's not clean enough. Likely from feeding too much and not changing the tank water often enough to remove the dissolve waste. Start changing out more tank water and more often and cut back on the amount you feed. Small tanks up to 30 gallons need half the water changed every few days. Larger tanks 30 gallons and larger, need half the water changed weekly.

Some use standard aquarium salt to boost the slime coat of the fish and improve the immune system. A teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough to retard the growth of the infection and will be a low enough dose so your plants don't suffer.

Improve the water conditions and your fish will be healthier.

Old

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If clean water won't heal it, you'll need something stronger than Melafix (and aquarium salt is not necessary, and may do more harm than good). But agree, I'd try large, frequent changes first, then antibiotics if that doesn't help.

5. JannaKaye Initiate Member

Thanks so much everyone! Changing water and I'll get some melafix tomorrow. If it doesn't get better, do I need to put some kind of medicine in the QT tank for him? Antibiotic?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't bother with Melafix, waste of money in my opinion.

If it doesn't get better, an antibiotic would be the next step.

7. JannaKaye Initiate Member

Ok, thanks for telling me. I did a 50% change and Al the Pleco is traumatized as per usual. I try to make it as calm as possible but he always freaks out. Everyone else seems to be feeling better already. How often should I change their water? It's a 15 gal tank with two guppies, a white skirt tetra, my moms two glofish(tetras), a danio, and the Pleco.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them.

What species of plecos? Plecos have a high bioload and a 15 gal tank is too small for them. I'd do at least two water changes weekly.

9. JannaKaye Initiate Member

Oh no! What size do I need to get for them to be comfortable? I'm not exactly sure on species, it just says Plecostomus. I'll check around and try to figure out species. Thank you so much for telling me! I hate that they've been uncomfortable :(

After searching around, I believe he is a sail fin but I am not 100%. Is 55 gal enough for him?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately not. If he is a sailfin, he can reach up to 18". You'd need a 24" wide tank at a minimum.

I'd rehome him.

I'd upgrade to a 20 gal long for the other fish, and get at least 2 more skirt tetras (since you have 3 now) and 5 more danios. They're schooling fish, and need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

11. JannaKaye Initiate Member

Ok. I'll start looking for him a new home. I've heard that you should only introduce max three fish at a time. Is that true?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the individual species, tank size, and current bioload. If the tank is fully cyled, I think you could add 2 skirts, wait a week, and add the 5 danios.