Guppy Tail Rot Not Going Away

raeraeclarkie

Hi all,
I have a male and female guppy in my 10 gallon tank, and my male has been battling tail rot for awhile now. I originally began treating the tank with Melafix daily for about two weeks with no improvement. My female guppy had no tail rot at this point. She was pregnant, however, and somehow got a rip in her tail a few days before she gave birth, and after she had given birth it started to worsen. I used Melafix for another week, but still no improvement from either fish. I kept using it because their condition was not worsening, just not improving. I bought some Furan-2 at that point and followed the instructions exactly thru one full cycle. The rot didn’t spread during and after this treatment, so I left the tank alone hoping everyone would start to heal. Now, it’s about a week later and both of their tails are starting to rot a little bit more again. I used Melafix yesterday and today. What other treatments should I try instead? Should I do another cycle of Furan-2 treatment?

RayClem

Although Melafix does have some antibacterial properties, it will not be as effective as an antibiotic for treating a bacterial infection. However, it could also be a fungal infection, or even both. Sometimes the infection will start as a bacterial infection, then fungus will take advantage of the weakened immune system and attack as well. Thus, it is best to treat for both bacterial and fungal infections.

Providing excellent water quality is an important part of treating fin rot.
Some recommend using a combination of erythromycin ( Mardel Maracyn or API EM) along with Hikari ICH-X. They can be used in combination. Erythromycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Since many types of bacteria can cause fin rot, you want one effective against many different bacteria. Furan 2 is also a broad spectrum antibiotic, but I do not know if it safe to use in combination with an antifungal. The combination of Erythromycin and ICH-X has been proven safe. ICH-X is normally recommended for external parasites, but the modified malachite green is also effective against fungal infections as well as some bacteria.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Questioning Fin Rot??
  • randomfishpersonok
  • Guppy