Guppy Tail Injuries

1. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

So we have a community tank with 2 male guppies. Our original two guppies existed fairly peacefully in the tank, so when they passed away we eventually replaced them with two new ones.

We do not want to manage Fry so we have gotten only male live bearers.

Yesterday I noticed that the tuxedo guppy was missing a wedge from his rear fin. Today I notice that the jade head guppy' tail is sort of tattered.

Is this likely guppy on guppy aggression? We have seen them facing off a lot.

Other tank occupants: angel fish, 2 male red wag platys, honey gourami, albino BNP, corys, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, mystery snail.

I assume the best treatment for healing is clean water, so I did a partial water change today to bring down the nitrates. I am open to other suggestions. Thanks

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

You could probably go ahead and get females. The Angelfish can be your population control, especially when they get big. It sounds cruel, but that is how it goes in the wild...fry usually wind up as fish food and only a small percentage actually make it to maturity.

My population control:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I think it more likely that your angel fish are nipping your guppies. Male guppies don't fight, what you are probably seeing are the males trying to mate with each other (they do that sometimes if there aren't any females present).

Good water quality is the most important thing. Livebearers will benefit from some salt, but the rest of your stocking wouldn't be agreeable.

4. dcutl002

Hmm. not too sure about that. I have had male guppies fight with the loser hiding in the tank being chased all the time. Swordtails, Mollies, platies, they all fight for dominance. having females in the tank may alleviate some of the stress among the males.

5. fjh

I'm not saying that guppies never nip each other, I'm just saying that the angelfish are the more likely culprits. They are cichlids after all and will eat any small fish they can catch/fit in their mouths. Hence why you said they would control the guppy population.

6. dcutl002

No argument. Angelfish can be little devils.

7. fjh

Beautiful angels btw ;D I especially like the second one

8. dcutl002

The Silver is a male and the Marble is a female. She is beautiful isn't she?

9. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

I would be willing to get females and allow the Fry to be eaten, but my husband is opposed. So that option is out. If it is the angel, what can I do? @bizaliz3 any ideas?

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd suggest sitting in the dark with the tank light on and observe for a while and see if you can figure out who the culprit is.

It could just as easily be the platys or gourami....

If you discover that it is the angel doing the damage I'd say either part with the angel or don't have fish with longer fins living with it??

I guess I'd say that regardless of who the culprit is. Either get rid of the culprit or get rid of the fish with longer fins....

11. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

The angel chases the other fish (usually the plays) occasionally, but I have never seen him/her actually attack. The angel didn't even seem to manage to catch any of the ghost shrimp I added... they all seemed to die of other causes over 48 hours... but I added 8 and removed 6-7 bodies. I wonder if it would be the angel is just getting more mature. I should try to get a measurement on it. It looks big in my 34 gallon tank...
    It could be the platys... they are bigger than the guppies. I would be VERY hard pressed to think it was the honey gourami. They don't bother anyone, except occasionally each other. Right now I have uprooted all my water sprite so I have a ton of floating plants and many of the fish are hanging out up there... I did a water change today. I will hopefully watch them tonight.

12. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Evening update: Unable to assess tonight, as I discovered I am having an unexplainable nitrite spike, had to do an emergency 50% water change and can't believe the fish are acting normally.. although they are much better than before the second water change (started a thread about it in "water parameters/nitrogen cycle" I think). Guppies are chasing each other, circling, etc. Angel took one run at the guppies & platies at one point when they were all clustered together. No other observations.

13. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It could be the guppies fighting, i've had it happen, even with females. It could also be the angel. Although...maybe it is the nitrites in the water.

14. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

I don't think it is the water causing the tears, because last night it tested at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates, but tonight it tested at 1.0 nitrites. I don't know if I am allowed to link my other thread... but quick summary... tap water 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites tonight. Can't figure out where the nitrites came from.
    @Lucy - am I allowed to link my other thread?

15. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, if it helps with this thread.

16. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Thanks Lucy.
    I have decided that the ripped tails preceded the tank water chemistry issues, so I think they are unrelated &I won't link my other thread. That being said... I am having some sort of mini cycle (I hope mini) where my nitrite converting bacteria seem to have been affected exclusively. So I am sure that will inhibit healing. However, the gasping at the surface every 12 hours is keeping their minds off chasing one another... bonus?

17. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You could always look for the good in the whole situation. Hopefully your tank and fish get better soon!

18. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Non-update/update for anyone interested:
    So the water quality issue seems to mostly be resolved. It has been 24 hours since I have done a water change and 36 hours with my nitrite reading back to 0. However, I still have the water level dropped about 4 inches to increase aeration.

Only reason this is all relevant is that I watched them some last night. The angel kept chasing the platys exclusively, but never catching them. It was sort of funny however, because due to the dropped water level and the decoration in the center of the tank, he had to angle a bit on his side to get a good run at them... so he was swooping like a bird, but totally unsuccessful.
    The tuxedo guppy wants to be a red wag platy, he hangs out with them and chases the other cup (jade head) away whenever it comes too near. I am going to wait and see how everyone does once the water level comes back up...

Thanks for all the thoughts.