Guppy Stuck in filter HELP!

1. lukester Initiate Member

My male blonde delta guppy was laying against the filter intake so I turned it off and he swam away. Right then he went on his side and he is still breathing fastly and moving his side fins. His tail looks a little torn up. WHAT DO I DO? IMG_1974.jpeg

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

What size is his tank?
    What other fish are you keeping with him?
    What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc.)

3. blusshed Well Known Member Member

My guppies seem to immediately die and get shredded, so that's a tough little guppy!

i would move him to a quarantine tank if you have one and do 2 back to back 50% w/c everyday with water conditioner and add melafix everyday to aid in healing...

i hope he he pulls through, but it's possible he might not.

good luck!

4. lukester Initiate Member

I don't have a quarantine tank.

5. lukester Initiate Member

Its a 10 gallon with 3 male guppies (including him) and 2 ghost shrimp.

6. Prep8611 Member Member

Use a cheap plastic bin or a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, they are homers buckets for 2.99. You just need an extra filter and a small heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Jim Well Known Member Member

Leave him in his home surroundings. It's small enough, just make sure the is not picked on by the ghosties. Nature will do what is right. Luck to you and him!!

8. lukester Initiate Member

He keeps getting sucked in.

9. lukester Initiate Member

Should I get rid of him? I cannot run out to the store now. I don't want to leave him in the tank if he is sick, but I don't want to take him out if he will recover.

10. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Can you put him in a big bowl for now? Itll make it easier for him to recover?

11. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Hmm.

either a deep bowl or do you have any panty hose? You could put that over the intake so he won't get sucked to it?

12. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Or take a filter replacement apart. Then take the floss and put it over the intake. Rubber band works well to hold it on. I had to do this for my output on my canister.