Guppy Strain? Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Buganjimo, Apr 21, 2018.

1. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Hey, I’ve been wondering about breeding guppies for a while, and I’ve been looking into strains and such, and consequently was wondering what strain my current guppy is, and if he would be good for breeding. Image1524353882.784916.jpgImage1524353939.276912.jpg
    Sorry about the pictures lol, he doesn’t stop moving!

2. jennlovieNew MemberMember

look for a good body shape, yours has a straight spine and good fins so it should be good to breed.
    defiantly a cobra guppy of some sort

3. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, I gathered that it was some sort of cobra, but if I breed it it will not become too muddled or mixed right? Kind of like the guppy x endler thing.

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

If you are looking to be serious about breeding, buy an established strain from a breeder. Pet store guppies will not throw consistent fish.

5. jennlovieNew MemberMember

like cichlidnut said, if its from a pet store you never know what it has mixed in, an pure strain from another breeder would be the best

6. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Okay, well I think this one is just a ‘tester’, not really, but just to see if I like breeding guppies, and then I’ll invest in a pair of breeding guppies. Don’t get me wrong, these guppies will be well cared for, ect, not just an experiment, but I do not want to buy a pair if I do not love breeding guppies. Breeding pairs are expensive around here lol.

7. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I agree on that part. Breeding guppies is fun and easy, theres not a whole lot involved. IMO to maximise the chance of the resulting fry looking somewhat decent, try pairing with a female that has a black tail (or blue, which may help increase colouration..)

8. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Oh, also, should I get multiple females or just one? When the female is not giving birth she’ll be put back in the community (20 gal) with the male so I dont want her to be harassed.

9. jennlovieNew MemberMember

the ratio is supposed to be 2 females per 1 male

however i will say i have 3 males 2 females because they are fry from before parents who have since passed on (rip) and they seem to do okay but i do notice one female getting picked on more than the other, so i would not recommend it at all

10. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

Looks like a half black cobra

11. Brooklyn VasquezValued MemberMember

@Buganjimo In my opinion, it looks fine. I wouldn't be too worried about it but I would just be concerned if they eat their fry. I assume that you don't have the female so it may take some time for them to breed. As the other members here said that you should get 2 females for every 1 male so the one female doesn't get stressed.

12. Annie59Valued MemberMember

How many males do you have? If you want to breed guppies you want to start with a female that has not been with other males. They can and do carry other males babies for months. So if you have other males in your community tank they will breed with her and you won't get the babies from this male only.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice