Guppy strain breeding project questions.

AquaCaitlin
Awhile back I got a female guppy from Petco. Nothing fancy. Her fry are now between the ages of 4-6 months, and I’m very pleased how they turned out.

I tend to post a lot of pictures them

Their bodies are colored like that of a wild-type guppy, but many of them have very large, flowing tails. A few have the wild-type tails as well.
I looked online to see if I could find pictures of similar guppies but haven’t been able to, although I’ve heard feeder guppies often carry these traits...?

Anyways. I really like how the guppies look, so I've decided to try developing my own line of wild bodied, fancy tailed guppies, using the offspring from my Petco female and adding some more wild type guppy blood in there in the third generation of my project. I am breeding specifically for larger tails, and more vibrant neon on the bodies.

Now for my questions:
- Yay or nay?
I’d like other’s opinions on this project. Should I work on this line or instead transfer to already established breeds like mosaics?

- Selling the fry.
I’m planning to give away the first generation guppies or sell them for very cheap, as I’ve already selected my breeding stock. Once I get 3-4 generations down with consistently occurring patterns do you think I could sell the fry for a profit?

- Commonplace?
How common really is this coloring? I am assuming that it’s very common, to the point where online fish stores don’t sell it because it’s simply not desirable, but I don’t know for sure.

Advertisement
SM1199
If you want something fun that might not make money, then I would go with your project rather than an established breed. The established breeds have been selectively bred for so long that there's not much left to do with them except let them breed and cull the less-than-perfect every now and then. Personally, I love the surprise that comes along with watching the development of each new generation that's different than the last, and at the end of the day, being able to say those cool-looking fish are the result of your own hard work. But that's just me!

I'm not sure if you'll be able to sell them for a profit. I'm sure you'd be able to find homes for them in one way or another, though. When I had to take down my 55, I had a whole bunch of mixed mutt guppies, and someone who came to take the 55 was chomping at the bit to take home those guppies (I was giving them away separately but he asked for them when he got there). I don't know, though, he might have wanted them as feeders, I didn't ask.

Judging by the slow-mo videos that you posted previously, the assorted-color mutt guppies you have are pretty common and not particularly desirable. However, it gives you a lot of patterns and colors to choose from and makes for a great project to see what you can develop! I love seeing what some good old mutt guppies can throw out there.

SM1199
For fun, a few of the mutt guppies I had in my tank. The one on the bottom was (I can only guess, but I believe) the result of a feeder guppy crossed with a plain female, then that result crossed with a regular old all-red guppy.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.32.37 PM.png

AquaCaitlin
If you want something fun that might not make money, then I would go with your project rather than an established breed. The established breeds have been selectively bred for so long that there's not much left to do with them except let them breed and cull the less-than-perfect every now and then. Personally, I love the surprise that comes along with watching the development of each new generation that's different than the last, and at the end of the day, being able to say those cool-looking fish are the result of your own hard work. But that's just me!

I'm not sure if you'll be able to sell them for a profit. I'm sure you'd be able to find homes for them in one way or another, though. When I had to take down my 55, I had a whole bunch of mixed mutt guppies, and someone who came to take the 55 was chomping at the bit to take home those guppies (I was giving them away separately but he asked for them when he got there). I don't know, though, he might have wanted them as feeders, I didn't ask.

Judging by the slow-mo videos that you posted previously, the assorted-color mutt guppies you have are pretty common and not particularly desirable. However, it gives you a lot of patterns and colors to choose from and makes for a great project to see what you can develop! I love seeing what some good old mutt guppies can throw out there.

Im mostly in it for the fun, although I tend to tire of projects after a few months and look for something new, these guys have done a pretty good job at keeping my attention.
My plan is to keep a single tank of these little mutts, developing them further and further, until I can hopefully create some cute little guppies.
Since fishkeeping isn’t free, I will probably use a few of my other aquariums to maybe get a more expensive breed to cross.

For fun, a few of the mutt guppies I had in my tank. The one on the bottom was (I can only guess, but I believe) the result of a feeder guppy crossed with a plain female, then that result crossed with a regular old all-red guppy.
View attachment 693609
Whoah, that’s a beautiful guppy!

Advertisement
SM1199
Whoah, that’s a beautiful guppy!
Thanks! I never thought I'd say it, but this is making me miss my mutt guppies big time My yellow leopard endlers were my favorite and added a unique twist into the bloodline. I also loved the females with the black-spotted ivory tails, like the one in that picture.

AquaCaitlin
Thanks! I never thought I'd say it, but this is making me miss my mutt guppies big time My yellow leopard endlers were my favorite and added a unique twist into the bloodline. I also loved the females with the black-spotted ivory tails, like the one in that picture.
I think mutt guppies are honestly my favorite. There’s so much room for exploration and you can get stunning patterns.
I have a 5 month old guppy male who has a lovely pastel pink tail. It’ll probably change colors, but I’m just appreciating it while it lasts.

SchoolofFish
View attachment 693609
Such a gorgeous guppy. Have you continued? What does your strain look like now that you have honed. I am thoroughly enjoying Mutt guppy genetics and outcomes as well. Would love to see what has evolved from yours!

SM1199
Such a gorgeous guppy. Have you continued? What does your strain look like now that you have honed. I am thoroughly enjoying Mutt guppy genetics and outcomes as well. Would love to see what has evolved from yours!
Unfortunately not, I haven't had guppies in about three years - the picture I posted was old. I never really took the time to develop a strain either, just a tank of mutt guppies making more mutt guppies!

SchoolofFish
Unfortunately not, I haven't had guppies in about three years - the picture I posted was old. I never really took the time to develop a strain either, just a tank of mutt guppies making more mutt guppies!
Well darn! Thanks for replying!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DixieFish
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
DeanEllenFins