Guppy sticking to the surface

tearingwaif17

I recently bought this guppy at a local fish store about 3 days ago, and during the first two days he had been swimming around the tank no problem, only today he has been staying at the surface of the water and has not come down once. I do not think this is an oxygen issue, as I have several other fish swimming around just fine. He is moving around, but only skimming the top. My ammonia and nitrites and nitrates all tested 0, I could use some help identifying what the problem with him is. The tank is a 20gl.

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpeg
    IMG_3654.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 33

Foxxway

Is it pregnant? Pregnant females tend to be much slower around birthing time. If it's a dude, he may be sleeping. They are excellent jumpers. Try moving your net towards him and see how he acts. If he's lethargic after a few swipes of the net, he's not right. If he wakes up and jumps halfway across the tank or drops a few inches, curls tail and hugs the side, he's fine.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

tearingwaif17

Is it pregnant? Pregnant females tend to be much slower around birthing time. If it's a dude, he may be sleeping. They are excellent jumpers. Try moving your net towards him and see how he acts. If he's lethargic after a few swipes of the net, he's not right. If he wakes up and jumps halfway across the tank or drops a few inches, curls tail and hugs the side, he's fine.

Hope that helps.
After a little research I think this may be a female as I have a male that is smaller than this one who is behaving normal and I read males are smaller than females. Still im not sure if this is a pregnant female or a male with some sort of disease. When I stuck the net in the other male guppy swam toward the He/she guppy and looked like he was trying to protect it, but the he/she guppy did not quickly swim away, but instead just slowly tried to drift away.

Upvote 0

tearingwaif17

IMG_3655.jpeg

Upvote 0

Foxxway

Okay. So, could be pregnant, sleeping or just not with it. Those top fins look male, though. I wish I could be more help. You might wanna check the temp. I find mine tend to like cooler water than warm. In the basement, a few tanks are around 60 degrees. I haven't had any issues and they certainly still breed like crazy. In the outdoor pond, where the plainer ones are, I notice they don't tolerate high heat very well.
Again, I'm no expert, just speaking from personal experience. I hope he/she gets better.

Upvote 0

tearingwaif17

Okay. So, could be pregnant, sleeping or just not with it. Those top fins look male, though. I wish I could be more help. You might wanna check the temp. I find mine tend to like cooler water than warm. In the basement, a few tanks are around 60 degrees. I haven't had any issues and they certainly still breed like crazy. In the outdoor pond, where the plainer ones are, I notice they don't tolerate high heat very well.
Again, I'm no expert, just speaking from personal experience. I hope he/she gets better.
Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• cowboykidd
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
cowboykidd
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
  • Alessandra525