Guppy Stable At The Surface, Is It Sleeping?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, i added six new blue moscow to my tank. Two of them act pretty normal, but twice in a day I saw them staying static on the surface of water...they r breathing and look ok..but it just stays on the surface eith minimal swim activity. Is it sleeping? Or is thr something wrong? Someone suggested adding salt..is that needed?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is he breathing heavily? lots of gill movment? if so he need more oxogyn, add an air stone for surface aggitation. if he isnt breathing heavy, then hes just chil

EDIT TO ADD: guppys do very well with salt, if its an all guppy tank with no inverts i would recommend using salt. but always keep in mind, never treat til you sure, and also if you use salt regularly, it can become immuned to it to where it doesnt work ( that last part im not sure is fact, but i have heard it)

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, i added six new blue moscow to my tank. Two of them act pretty normal, but twice in a day I saw them staying static on the surface of water...they r breathing and look ok..but it just stays on the surface eith minimal swim activity. Is it sleeping? Or is thr something wrong? Someone suggested adding salt..is that needed?
do they stay that way on specific time? and then becomes active on the rest of the day? that's how my guppies act, when it's they're "night time" they just stay on top sleeping, otherwise they active and all over the place.

another thing too is do they stay on top and gasping for air? or just on top but breathes fine?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is he breathing heavily? lots of gill movment? if so he need more oxogyn, add an air stone for surface aggitation. if he isnt breathing heavy, then hes just chil

EDIT TO ADD: guppys do very well with salt, if its an all guppy tank with no inverts i would recommend using salt. but always keep in mind, never treat til you sure, and also if you use salt regularly, it can become immuned to it to where it doesnt work ( that last part im not sure is fact, but i have heard it)
I have neon tetras as will in the mix. Let me try to upload a video to show what they r doing

@msrose @ryanp

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah i would say something is off with the water quality. what are you test readings. i would add air stone . also may do good if none of this helps to use salt

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have neon tetras as will in the mix. Let me try to upload a video to show what they r doing
Not gasping ..just breathing

yeah i would say something is off with the water quality. what are you test readings. i would add air stone . also may do good if none of this helps to use salt
Is it normal cooking salt which has iodine?

Ammonia levels are 0.25. rest i dotn have a tester. The water however have been trrated with prime and dechlorinator

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With that video I think it's fine it's not gasping, and other fishes are fine. If you just added them then they could just still be stressed or in shock, if this keeps going on though I'll separate them and QT them could be parasite or something.

But yeah water parameters can tell us a lot of things too like what @Ms rose mentioned

Ammonia levels are 0.25. rest i dotn have a tester. The water however have been trrated with prime and dechlorinator
ok so that could mean your tank isn't cycled yet.
Do you know about Nitrogen Cycle?
Guppies are hardier fish but doesn't mean they're not susceptible to ammonia poisoning

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With that video I think it's fine it's not gasping, and other fishes are fine. If you just added them then they could just still be stressed or in shock, if this keeps going on though I'll separate them and QT them could be parasite or something.

But yeah water parameters can tell us a lot of things too like what @Ms rose mentioned
I now remember..the guy who me these had the tank stored in a dark place with very less light..my tank is like a Christmas tree so they may not be liking the lights

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so that could mean your tank isn't cycled yet.
Do you know about Nitrogen Cycle?
Guppies are hardier fish but doesn't mean they're not susceptible to ammonia poisoning
I did read about nitrogen cycle. That is when i added a canister filter...with ceramics and activated carbon...and plants and lava stones. One question though...how does one know..the tank is completely cycled?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

good thinking on the qt if needed, my guppys dont generally surface breath unless something is up, but i am NO expert. i would do as @RyanP suggested. i wouldnt worry to hard right now, stress does strange things to fish, so qt may be the best thing to prevent illness in tank, just until you kow whats going on.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also Prime is already a de-chlorinator so you don't need the other one. It help ammonia to become harmless but only for 24-48.
After loosing a lot of fish i came to the conclusion of adding dechlor and prime. I had posted lot of threads with the problems i had...the water we get here is nothing less than poison for fish

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
as for salt, non iodized is only salt you can use, with no caking agents. i use sea salt, but most will say aquarium salt is all you can use. as i said, i use sea salt with great success. but only use salt if you are SURE iits needed

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
as for salt, non iodized is only salt you can use, with no caking agents. i use sea salt, but most will say aquarium salt is all you can use. as i said, i use sea salt with great success. but only use salt if you are SURE iits needed
Got it my friend..let me monitor them for a while

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I now remember..the guy who me these had the tank stored in a dark place with very less light..my tank is like a Christmas tree so they may not be liking the lights
this is very possible, causing fish to stess is a bad thing, brings illness

After loosing a lot of fish i came to the conclusion of adding dechlor and prime. I had posted lot of threads with the problems i had...the water we get here is nothing less than poison for fish
i remember your threads, so you been running tank now for what 4 to 6 weeks, correct?

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree with the salt, if it's not broken don't fix it, so just continue to monitor them.

I just wanted to point out again about Nitrogen Cycle, if you're getting that constant reading of ammonia your tank might not be cycled yet. First Investment I got when I started this hobby is the API Master Test Kit. Water Parameters could tell you lots of things. Good Luck!

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree with the salt, if it's not broken don't fix it, so just continue to monitor them.

I just wanted to point out again about Nitrogen Cycle, if you're getting that constant reading of ammonia your tank might not be cycled yet. First Investment I got when I started this hobby is the API Master Test Kit. Water Parameters could tell you lots of things. Good Luck!
Ammonia is showing yellow since a while

i remember your threads, so you been running tank now for what 4 to 6 weeks, correct?
Exact one month now

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I respectfully disagree with throwing salt in there just because...salt.

Same with medications. If something doesn't look quite right, there's a tendency to want to dump in everything within arms reach, just to do something. If you are blindly dumping stuff in for no reason other than vague hope that it something will fix things, I don't think that's a good approach. There are some ailments that salt can help with, but if you don't have a clue what's wrong, you're acting out of desperation.

If you're going to add salt, have a specific reason, and make sure you have a means of testing salinity. With medications they'll give specific instructions on exactly how much to add per gallon, how long to keep it in there, when to do water changes, etc. With salt the advice is "Dump some salt in." You have no idea what the level should be, and you have no idea what the level is. Just because...salt.

Salt does act as a temporary stimulant, so it gives the impression that your fish is suddenly on its way to recovery. That's a classic example of treating symptoms rather than treating the underlying cause.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see your water readings. Something is wrong, guppies normally chase each other all over the tank. I'd start with a hard look at the water parameters, then treat if you have an educated guess at what's happening.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes, i was told that guppy do great with salt in proper amounts, but told him a few times, only use salt if you are SURE salt is needed. its always hard not to treat anyway you know how as soon as a problem arises, but its not the best approch to curing/helping fish. very much agree with your reply

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom