Guppy Split Tails

1. Kparkin88 Initiate Member

Hi all, I currently have an all male guppy tank 7 in all, I knew there'd be some dominance fights going on between them but they seem to be relentless. I have a few with splits in their tails and ragged fins. Is there anything I can do to calm them down except the obvious solution of adding females.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What is the tank size?

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Many people will tell you to add hiding places but that doesn't work because both males are actively seeking out the fight. Really the only thing you can do is add females. If your tank is less than 20 gallons you should reduce the amount of males to 3-5. That still won't solve the problem, so you really need to add females. If you don't want babies, then livebearers probably aren't the best choice for you.

4. Kparkin88 Initiate Member

20 gallon long

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would still reduce the amount of males to 3 and add some females.

6. Kparkin88 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice

7. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You could add 2 female guppies to one male guppy, but that would make 21 guppies and would overstock it. If it is possible try to rehome/return 3-4 guppies.

8. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would rehome 4 and keep 3. Also keep in mind if you can't easily find a place to take your babies It would be better to only keep 2 males.

9. ChuthuluFish Member Member

you miight want to get some medcine for those fins

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't reduce the numbers. The more you have the more spread out any aggression is so it's not just one being picked on relentlessly. If there are any that are overly aggressive (much more than the rest) you may want to rehome them. I think 7 is a good number for a 20 long.

11. goplecos Well Known Member Member

In my experience with livebearers the only way to solve aggression with all males is to add some females, and if you add 2 females per male that would be 21 fish. That would not overstock the tank, but you would be quickly over run with babies

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you include a picture of your tank? Adding more decor may actually help.