Guppy Spine Disease Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Billy T, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

Ive only had him a month. Moved him to another tank at another house and he’s been fine. Then I go today and he’s floating at the top with a bit of a bent spine. After being notified of his condition and researching guess this is more common than not. Really sucks it can happen overnight. Guess putting him to sleep is most humane thing to do. I’m a month old newbie so any suggestions including most peaceful way to do this would be greatly appreciated

2. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

use clove oil in water it will make them fall asleep and the will die in their sleep.

3. OP
    OP
    Billy T

Hmm. Came back over to my Dads to check on him and he’s straightened out swimming around fine but my Dads pictus cat was dead

4. Tomcat1972

Tomcat1972 Valued Member Member

I had a few guppies that had the same symptoms. Just in a matter of a few days their tail would get a downward bend. It's a common occurrence in store bought guppies. Since I've started breeding my own I haven't had any problems but I had to buy some guppies from a guy on the net that raises his own to get a decent group of adults to breed my own because almost all of the guppies I got from stores died too quickly. I never buy fish from stores anymore now. I always find someone online that sells fish that they breed.

5. I

Ioana Sundius New Member Member

I might be late to this conversation... My guppies (store-bought) bend their spine when they are sick. I bought 6 for a 10 gallon fishtank, fully cycled and planted. One developed a bent spine immediately and was gone within a day. the rest thrived, with 3 of then visibly growing. I had a water leak overnight and was able to save only three. One was shocked after the ordeal, swam with his bent spine and passed away later that day. Another started to swim listlessly with his bent spine, but I was able to quickly stabilize him by carefully monitoring the water parameters in the new 20 gallon tank. The two were joyously swimming for months, when I stated to feel brave enough to add more to the fishtank -- a pleco, 3 zebra snails and 5 Sakura cherry shrimps, along with some more plants. They were added gradually, and the water was closely monitored, but at one point, my beautiful yellow and red guppy started to show signs of a parasite infestation (clear poop, listless, and yes, the bent spine). I read what I could, treated the water, but by the morning, he was gone. My blue one was hanging out close to him, and is very lonely now, and I will have to get him some friends again. But I'm really nervous about introducing more disease...

My point here is that a guppy with a bent spine is a big sign of alert in my inexperienced tank. Breeding your own is good, because it avoids introducing disease, and maybe that is why you don;t see the bent spine. I'm not that advanced :-(. But OP, if your guppies are swimming with a bent spine, try to figure out the problem. Don;t ignore it.

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Bent spine is either caused from genes, crowded tank, or bad water quality.

7. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

Also insufficient minerals. Low calcium and/or magnesium may lead to bended spine on guppies.

8. OP
    OP
    Billy T

9. OP
    OP
    Billy T

I decided to put him down. I had moved him to my dads tank before this started, he was in there for about 2 weeks, a day after I posted this he had white spots on his tail also. I didn’t want any of his fish to be affected. Would’ve Setup a QT but was broke at the time, so lessened learn and sorry Quezzie hope you’re enjoying the big pond

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice