Guppy Seemingly Changes Colors

Bettaboo123

So one of my guppies has been confusing me lately because his coloring is never really consistent. Water parameters are good and he isn’t showing signs of stress. The thing is he just seems to change color in a matter of seconds. I get that it could be lighting/reflections or maybe something socially, but I’ve never seen any of my other guppies do this. He seems to be yellowish green most of the time, but sometimes he’s bright yellow or bright green, Aqua, pale bluish white, and even a weird pale orange. Like I said, it happens really fast and it affects his whole body. It might be nothing but I’m curious in seeing if anyone out there has a similar experience or an answer.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well, it's probably in his genetics. I have a specific guppy that, in her tail, will change from red to blue all the time, I think it's normal. But whenever she eats, it's always blue in her tail. My guess is just how they are feeling in any given moment.

emeraldking could probably tell you why genetically it happens.

Some guppies change throughout their life too, if you were to breed 2 strains together, sometimes you may get one strain when they're young and another as they age.

emeraldking

I'm sorry that I must have overlooked this topic.
Your guppy could have underlying colors that will show themselves depending on how the light hits the body. This does happen mostly when it concerns a mix that has got dominant coloration from both parents. Especially, when they have also translucent scales (a number or all scales) that have iridophores (reflecting color cells) in combination with more than one kind of color cells.

BPSabelhaus

Our old male used to really sparkle under LED lights. Yellow and orange body, but when the lights hit him right he was glorious pinks, blues, purples over the yellow orange. Try playing with your lights / lighting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jollypop4321
  • Question
  • blindfaith429
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • rombac22
  • Guppy