Guppy Rescue

sipec
So I just got this tank from my friend, who didn't want it anymore. When I got them one was lying on the bottom. It passed earlier today. I wish I would've taken a picture, but it had white spots on it's fins, ich? Here is another one that has a very strange back, it lays on the bottom and doesn't look the greatest, also it has a few white spots too. Is it ich? How can I help it? Gypsy13

IMG_20180723_155006029.jpg
IMG_20180723_154945059.jpg

GoldfishBreeder
is the back severely bent, if so it could be guppy tb which is contagious to other fish tank people. It slowly spreads to the rest of the fish and will kill them.

sipec
It is bent, how do I treat it?

Gypsy13
It is bent, how do I treat it?

Vitamin deficiency can also cause bent spine. So can inbreeding. And if it was TB, using one of the tetracyclines can sometimes help. Just so you know, if you have an open wound on your hands and you come into contact with fish TB, you may contract a rash. It’s not the same as human TB. Just related. In other words, until you find out what you’re dealing with, you can wear gloves.
So onto the white spots. How many guppies have them? Can you take the bent spine one out and put in qt?
One other thing, the bent back, is it just one bend or s shaped? And two other causes of bent spines, electrocution and injury. So never automatically jump to fish TB. Even though it’s on the rise in the US, it’s still relatively rare.

sipec
Vitamin deficiency can also cause bent spine. So can inbreeding. And if it was TB, using one of the tetracyclines can sometimes help. Just so you know, if you have an open wound on your hands and you come into contact with fish TB, you may contract a rash. It’s not the same as human TB. Just related. In other words, until you find out what you’re dealing with, you can wear gloves.
So onto the white spots. How many guppies have them? Can you take the bent spine one out and put in qt?
I could quarintine it, I believe it is the only one with white spots, but the one that died had them too. How would I treat the tetracyclines?

sipec
I'd say it's one bend

Gypsy13
I'd say it's one bend

I wouldn’t use tetracyclines unless you knew it was Tb. And usually the spine is s shaped. So, qt and treat for ich. Add a little dissolved aquarium salt, like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of qt water. Just for a few days. That should give you time to get the ich meds. I want some eyeballs on the white spots. My hubby doesn’t see ich. Fanatic scarface Rtessy Discus-Tang could you see if this little guy has ich? Please?

And good quality food.

DoubleDutch
I'd euthanise it.

DoubleDutch
sipec
Also it's scales are sticking up a little. Is that dropsy?

Discus-Tang
Also it's scales are sticking up a little. Is that dropsy?
Yep. I'm afraid it's the end for that one, even if it survived it'd be hamdicapped.

Rtessy
I wouldn’t use tetracyclines unless you knew it was Tb. And usually the spine is s shaped. So, qt and treat for ich. Add a little dissolved aquarium salt, like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of qt water. Just for a few days. That should give you time to get the ich meds. I want some eyeballs on the white spots. My hubby doesn’t see ich. Fanatic scarface Rtessy Discus-Tang could you see if this little guy has ich? Please?

And good quality food.
I don't really see ich, there is a little white spot but it almost looks more like an injury. And the spinal bend is like a hump that climaxes around the dorsal and doesn't continue to the tail. No other signs of fish TB, and from what I've seen it's often more of a curve that continues into the tail. The guppy seems unable to move and is lying on the bottom though, ans sorry for my late response

Gypsy13
I'd euthanise it.

Thank you for looking. I was hoping it wasn’t that bad.

I’m so sorry Joey. You’re going to have to get it out of the tank and euthanize it. Don’t let it die in the tank. My heart is with you.

sipec
Thanks guys, I'll do that

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Crystal Queen
Replies
Views
tay_jo