Guppy Question

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think one guppy alone would be better, they are schooling fish.
They're not schooling fish. Social, yes, but not schooling. I had a male guppy with a big tail that was bullied and nipped by his 'friend' that I had in the tank with him. He was much happier and came out more when the 'friend' was removed. I've kept guppies in quantities of 10+ before all together. I have seen no difference in their behavior alone versus with others as long as they feel secure in their environment, which in a fish tank they should. No predators.

Itsme

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm... Honestly guppies need at least a 10 gallons. Even if they are small they are territorial and very active. I know it's not fun hearing that but yeah...

If you only have that and you reallly want guppies you could go with 3 MALES. Not recommended.
So you don't recommend 3males?

ChapouJunior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They're not schooling fish. Social, yes, but not schooling. I had a male guppy with a big tail that was bullied and nipped by his 'friend' that I had in the tank with him. He was much happier and came out more when the 'friend' was removed. I've kept guppies in quantities of 10+ before all together. I have seen no difference in their behavior alone versus with others as long as they feel secure in their environment, which in a fish tank they should. No predators.
Hmm okay you might be right but I had 1 guppy before in my 20 gallons and he was so inactive, at the bottom, doing nothing while my other fishes were all active and water parameters perfect, then I added 4 guppies along with him and he's now the most active in the tank. I guess it depends on the personnality.

Itsme

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So how many do you recommend?

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think a 5 gallon is really too small for guppies, they are quite active and territorial and need quite a bit of swimming room for their size. As fish keepers, we should be providing our fish with the best environment possible, not the bare minimum
If you were going to get them, which I wouldn't advise, I would say 2 males max, maybe 3 if you are willing to keep up with 50% twice weekly water changes as mentioned above.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why don't you give endlers a try? Endlers are smaller yet still colorful! You could do 5-6 in a 5 gallon

As far as the guppies go I suggest getting 1-2 male guppies, sometimes guppies can be territorial or aggressive. I have 2 male guppies in a moderate-heavily planted 40 breeder and they still duel each other although there is no nipping . As mentioned guppies are really active but I would just do 1!

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Why don't you give endlers a try? Endlers are smaller yet still colorful! You could do 5-6 in a 5 gallon
I disagree with this, Endlers are extremely active and I would say they need at least 10 gallons minimum. I can never understand why people say that neons need at least 20 gallons while Endlers are okay in a 5 when they have virtually the same activity levels.
Just my opinion, I agree with the rest of your post

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I disagree with this, Endlers are extremely active and I would say they need at least 10 gallons minimum. I can never understand why people say that neons need at least 20 gallons while Endlers are okay in a 5 when they have virtually the same activity levels.
Both guppies and endlers could live in there,but they wouldn't be happy, probably be stressed in the tight area, and probably might not live a healthy life they should. IMO

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, didn't realize this! LOL, now my views have change and won't be recommending them for 5 gallons however won't 1 work?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, didn't realize this! LOL, now my views have change and won't be recommending them for 5 gallons however won't 1 work?
Are you asking about one endler in a 5 gal? Why would you want to do that? Seems unfair to keep a social fish singly.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally 2-3 male endlers are a good pick for Endlers in a five. However these are social and inquisitive. Please give them stuff to look at... They never stop.

In comparison to neons... Neons swim all over. Endlers nose in and check things out. Very different personality.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom