Guppy Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Itsme, Apr 16, 2017.

1. I

Itsme Valued Member Member

Can I keep 3-4 male Guppies and 2 Nerites in a 5gal?

If not,Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    IMO I don't think it will work. Even though guppies are small and tiny, They are very active and require a decent amount of swimming space, not to mention that they will produce a decent amount of bioload in your 5 gallon.

How about a betta instead? I think a single male betta should work fine with your 2 Nerite snails in the 5g

3. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks,but I was planning on keeping them in a 5gal and in 3-6 months moving them to a community 20gal.Then later putting in a Betta.

4. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Hello there!
    Yes, You can but you have to move them to the 20gal soon.
    Why do not you keep 2-3 Male Guppies and when you finally get the 20gal then you can add more

5. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I'd put no more than 2 guppies in a 5 gallon, but even that is iffy.

I have 4 in a 10 gallon and it's working very well.
    When I had 5 or 6 in the 10 gallon, I had to change the water twice a week to keep the Nitrate levels safe for the fish.

6. OP
    OP
    I

What about the snails?With weekly 25% water changes would I be able to slip in 3?I really want the tank to have as much movement as possible.

Thanks!

Wdym?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  7. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

I meant you can have 3-4 Male Guppies in 5 Gallon for a little while but you have to move them in the 20 gallon Sooner.

And Why do not you keep less than 3 Male guppies in 5 Gallon and add more when you get the 20 gallon?

Like @bgclarke said you have to do water changes twice a week to make sure Nitrate levels stay safe for the fish

8. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks!
    A 5gal guppy aquarium is all I have space for atm.It'll be a few months before I get my 20gal situated and I've really been interested in guppies lately

I also plan on keeping a few different species of live plants too,Marimo Moss Ball being the only one I can remember at the top of my head.Would these help my parameters?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  9. bgclarke

I would do 50% water change.

You should be able to put a single nerite snail in it once it's been established for a while.

What filter are you planning on using on the tank?

10. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

I strongly suggest that you get the Betta instead of the Guppies for the 5 gallon. A Betta is more appropriate for a 5 gallon. Once you upgrade to the 20, then you should add the Guppies.
    A word of caution on Bettas and Guppies. You will need to keep a very close eye on the Betta, because it is very possible that the Betta will bully the Guppies. And since male Guppies have colorful flowing fins, the Betta can may take the Guppies as a threat.
    I'm sure other more experienced aquarist can give you better advice on that stocking.
    @Anders247, @TexasDomer, what are your opinions?

11. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would wait until you get your 20 gal up and running to get any guppies. If you want, you can put a betta in the 5 gal with a couple of snails. I wouldn't put guppies and bettas together....one will eventually get aggressive towards the other.

12. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks!

I don't really know yet.I'm planning on getting a 5gal kit at Walmart for $27 that has an internal filter suited for 5-15gals.Or buying everything separately.If I do so I'll get a HOB filter suited for a 5-15gal,haven't decided yet.

So I'll be able to get 3 guppies and a snail if I do 50% water changes once a week?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  13. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Again....it's not a good idea to put Guppies in a 5 gallon tank. Not saying you cant, but a 5 gallon is on the small size for them. Please consider getting a Betta, and wait to get the Guppies.

14. N

Nicholas04 New Member Member

I think you could, but never forget to do water changes and check your parameters often

15. bgclarke

With a small tank like that with 3 guppies, so 50% twice a week.
    That's what I was doing when I had 6 guppies in my 10 gallon.

16. OP
    OP
    I

Thanks for the help!

17. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would also wait for the guppies until you get the bigger tank. Something may come up and prevent you from getting the bigger tank, and then you're stuck with fish in too small of a tank.

18. OP
    OP
    I

How many guppies can I keep in a 5gal?

19. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Two at the max, in my opinion. One would be better. You'll need really good filtration. You'll want to go with male(s) or virgin female(s).

20. ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior Valued Member Member

Hmm... Honestly guppies need at least a 10 gallons. Even if they are small they are territorial and very active. I know it's not fun hearing that but yeah...

If you only have that and you reallly want guppies you could go with 3 MALES. Not recommended.

I don't think one guppy alone would be better, they are schooling fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice