Guppy Pregnant?

NicksFishTanks

I believe the lighter guppy is pregnant but I’m not completely sure.
Also the darker guppy had had birth about 3 days ago, after she had birth there was only 4 guppy fry. Since then she has gotten larger and her gravid spot has gotten darker. Is it possible for her to be giving birth again? Also I have had the fish for about a little over a month. Please let me know how soon until they have birth, just estimate I mean. Thank you.

Attachments

• 14E2916E-874E-441A-BF5E-5A58B761E5C4.jpeg
    14E2916E-874E-441A-BF5E-5A58B761E5C4.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 8990D2DE-89AB-4040-8309-EC44434F973A.jpeg
    8990D2DE-89AB-4040-8309-EC44434F973A.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2B1C9552-0492-44F9-A449-7558492F903B.jpeg
    2B1C9552-0492-44F9-A449-7558492F903B.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 37

kallililly1973

Absolutely looks pregnant. Estimated time of birth within a week

NicksFishTanks

Absolutely looks pregnant. Estimated time of birth within a week
Which one? Also the darker one had birth about 3 days ago and there was only 4 fry. Is it possible for her to give birth again?

Masoud

Which one? Also the darker one had birth about 3 days ago and there was only 4 fry. Is it possible for her to give birth again?
maybe it was more and u just saw 4 of them,do u use a breeder box? usually there are more babies they hide in the gravel and decorations when u move them u should see some babies,the lighter one is 100% pregnant should give birth soon,they give birth to 3 4 to 50 babies,but if u want to save most of them u should use breeder boxes

kallililly1973

Either one of them could drop fry at any time. What else do you have in there with them? They or other tank mates could have eaten some fry if you only seen 4.

NicksFishTanks

Either one of them could drop fry at any time. What else do you have in there with them? They or other tank mates could have eaten some fry if you only seen 4.
Nothing. Just a empty breeder tank. I used a breeder box but the fry escaped through the tiny cuts in the side.

maybe it was more and u just saw 4 of them,do u use a breeder box? usually there are more babies they hide in the gravel and decorations when u move them u should see some babies,the lighter one is 100% pregnant should give birth soon,they give birth to 3 4 to 50 babies,but if u want to save most of them u should use breeder boxes
Yes I used a breeder box but they escaped through the little slits in the side. It’s just a empty breeder tank with nothing in except them and decorations. I have only seen 4 which stay in the middle of the tank most of the time. There certainly could be more hiding but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t ever come out.

esqueff

I’m in the same boat as you. I bought two guppies about a month ago now.. one of them looked pretty pregnant from the start and the other not too much. About a week later I got 4 fry in the tank. But the big one stayed big and the smaller one almost seemed to have gotten smaller. I assumed it could have been the smaller ones first batch so she never got very big and it was only 4 fry?
Well since then they have both gotten much much bigger. The one that was big from the start is now massive! And the other one is pretty big now.
Just playing the waiting game on some more fry now

Gone

If you ask 10 people when a guppy will drop, you'll get 15 different answers. The fact is it's extremely difficult to tell unless you know when she was hit. I have several breeders that still look like they're going to explode even after having 50 fry.

Usually a female will drop all her fry in a few hours, but it is possible for her to drop some now, some a few days later. Not that common, but it can happen. As others have indicated, there's a good chance there were many more, but got eaten, or are hiding. I have plants in my tanks, and when my guppies drop, I try to count, then I double the number. It's usually fairly close after they grow a little and it's easier counting.

I've tried breeder boxes a few times, but I've never had any luck. They stress out the fish. I put heavy plant cover, keep the males in until just before the female drops (based on adding 28 days to the day I put the breeders together), then move her after she's dropped the fry. The fry grow for about a month, then I separate by sex.

My first step whenever I have any question about my tank is to do a water change. It's almost impossible to do too many partial water changes, and that's what will help the fish most in many cases.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom