Guppy Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Jamesd, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Hi there I would only like to know if someone could help me identify if this guppy is pregnant or not? Thankyou

2. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Sure thing can you post a picture?
    When did you get this guppy? Do you have males with her or has she been with males?

3. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

76CCA044-C048-4748-9CC8-E0973AFD9CB8.jpeg E84848CC-B5E1-4383-9D06-2427210FAF3E.jpeg 803E895A-C5E5-480B-9368-7F40C9E3F0E8.jpeg She has been with males and females for a long time probably about 5-8months this is her

2E6D7E2B-59CE-4417-8D97-604FE115FBD3.jpeg 64B90BDF-8619-4DAE-813E-C047477500C9.jpeg 2E6D7E2B-59CE-4417-8D97-604FE115FBD3.jpeg And there is also this one who is quite large has a large black gravid spot and has been rubbing up against branches, and has had one male constantly follow her around:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Oh yeah, well, in about a week, be prepared for some fry sir. Heh

5. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Wow thankyou, Are they both pregnant?

6. SFGiantsGuy

Yes. The first, more colorful one is getting pretty gravid, and is due and ready to drop in about a week, tops, most likely; do pay close attention for when her belly has the tendency to start to "square" out, therefore giving it an almost rectangular shape, which indicates that she will likely give birth at any minute! The second female looks like it will likely be in about a month's time before she gives birth. And also be advised that female livebearers can store sperm in their bodies for a long long time, and thus, can display signs of pregancy several times and have a lot of fry (even for guppies) in one lifetime.

Here’s an all white male that I picked up last week in my guppy breeding tank:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Thanks heaps!

8. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

If anyone else would like to share any more details or opinions that would be great! The more conformation the better :)

9. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Ok hi! I got your message :D

The guppy in the first three pics does appear pregnant and heavily at that! Congratulations!! The only thing I've noticed also is that her spine is a little bent behind her head. Has she always been fat like that or has she grown plumper over time? If she is pregnant then it will only be a week or so. When her back end looks like this \____ then she will give birth in a few days usually. Don't be stressed if it takes her a little longer; some first time pregnancies can take up to 2 months before they drop.

(Whatever you do please don't use breeder boxes. Thanks)

The second guppy... hard to tell. If she is pregnant it will be within her first week or two. She could equally not be pregnant. Has anything changed about her over time?

10. SFGiantsGuy

I said all that already haha, no problemo. : ) She should be due to drop soon! And the other one as well in about 2-3 weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Thankyou :) I believe she has always had a bent spine as quite a few of my guppies do have bad genes but I don’t belive she was always that plump as when I noticed it, I started checking her belly before I fed her to see if she was just fat from feeding time but she’s always remained large

I
    Hi, I know you already answered the question but I just wanted more confirmation from others because the bent spine is making it hard for me to tell cause I’m just a beginner

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  12. Mary765

Hey dude chill, I'm just giving my opinion on the matter! There were quite a few things you didn't say ;)

I believe she is pregnant! Check her and your tank every day (remember fry start off as grains of sand with eyes which lie on the gravel or plants :)

13. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Thankyou :)

14. SFGiantsGuy

You are correct: There indeed WAS some things that I did NOT address! Agh! : )

Sorry, my PS4 keyboard needs to be replaced due to numerous and frequent typos! The piece of...uh junk. lol...

15. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Big thanks to both of you as I now have 6 guppy fry And hopefully more to come yay

16. Mary765

Aww congratulations!!!!! :D it's always so exciting having babies!

If you need any advice in caring for them please let me know ;)

17. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

DB9D1285-0F27-4157-841C-271B1AFEFEC9.jpeg
    Well the babies are doing super! And I have noticed another one of my guppies looks pregnant! What do you think?:

Attached Files:

18. SFGiantsGuy

Yes VERY pregnant lol

19. OP
    OP
    Jamesd

Jamesd New Member Member

Hahahah thankyou

20. SFGiantsGuy

Yes sir. Hmmm, suprised that with the frequency and amount of pregnant guppies that you only have only a few fry...although chances are, you will be a dad again. "You will be....youuu...willll be." <o_o>

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice