Guppy Pregnant Or Dieing?

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just brought a female guppy home... she looks plumper on the bottom.

Now she's laying on the bottom, breathing fast.

Not sure if she's ready to have babies or not liking the new tank. It's only been 4 hrs since she got put in new tank.

Any way to tell? (other than just waiting it out?)

If she is ready to have babies... how long after the 'sitting and breathing fast' stage until it would happen?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
But that is the same symptoms of a pregnant guppy ready to give birth.

A picture would help.

N8_the_Gr8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Picture would really help in diagnosing the problem. If it has a large black spot towards its analfin, it is close to giving birth if not giving birth already.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah could be either or. One time I drip acclimated a few pregnant guppies and some other assorted fish, and within only 6 hours, one of the guppies gave birth, likely from stress. Or not. Tough to say! Either or, be on the lookout, because it IS the welfare and care of the mother and her babies, so keep a close on in her ok? Especially the babies! (if they pop out etc.)

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've bagged up many guppies over the years, and it's not uncommon to find new babies in the bag when it gets to its destination. I'm not saying that's the problem, but it could be. The problem is that guppies can hold in their babies and they get absorbed, and that can be caused by stress. If it were me, I'd avoid adding anything to the water, maybe turning off the light, and hoping she settles down.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom