Guppy pregnancy

Aquaticguy

What are all the ways to know if my guppy is pregnant. I have about 4-5 females in my tank and some of them seem to have swollen bellies. The males are chasing some of the females and dancing in front of them which kinda looks cute.

JLAquatics

If you have males and female guppies in a tank, chances are they will breed constantly with pregnant guppies are going to be a common occurrence. Here are some telltale signs your female Guppy is pregnant;

1. Their gravid spot change. This is the area by the butt. If she is indeed pregnant, this gravid spot will darken over time (because those are the eyes of the unborn babies)!

2. Bulging Bellies. This is an obvious one. However, the stomach should not bulge all at once and be more or a gradual process, like a few weeks. Do not confuse this with overfeeding, but you will also be able if this is the case if you see fat males in the tank. Males cannot be impregnated as you know and overfeeding can cause all sorts of problems in your fish tank.

3. Rapid Breathing. This comes relatively close to when the guppy will give birth, but this should only occur if your fish has other signs of pregnancy. If she is breathing rapidly while not looking pregnant, something may be off with your water parameters and it may be advisable to check them for anything awry.

4. Swimming in Place. Just like rapid breathing, this also comes relatively late in pregnancy.

5. More aggression. Female guppies can become more aggressive when they are inpregnated. This may result in chasing and even possibly fin nipping with the male guppies.

Upvote 0

Aquaticguy

Tnx! I noticed that some of my female guppies are aggressive and hiding at the same time. I think they are pregnant.

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

If not yet, then let me finish typing lol

Just work on the assumption that they are pregnant. Don’t worry about it until she looks like a rectangular balloon. If you want to separate her then, go for it. I just let mother nature do her thang.

Upvote 0

Aquaticguy

I have been wondering why my Corydoras has a black dot inside his body near his vent. I think its just poo inside its body but what do you guys think.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

A picture would probably help, but a lot of fish-especially lighter ones-you can often see things such as organs and poo. The ones that always freak me out are when you can see the eyes of fry inside mama on livebearers.

Upvote 0

Aquaticguy

Yea. Rn I can't take a picture but I can describe as best as possible. So my Corydoras back of the body is kinda light and you can see some stuff in the body. I think it's just poo and not parasites.
Btw lets say he has parasites. Do I treat the whole tank, ( sometimes my guppies rub their selves to the plants) or do I make a hospital tank. I think I should treat the whole tank so all the parasites die.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lprit
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
YellowGuppy
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Pregnant Guppy?
Replies
Views