Guppy Pregnancy Question

trinity28

Valued Member
Reaction score
It seems like every thread on this board is asking if their guppy is pregnant, so I here I go with a pregnancy question :p
I have had this Black Moscow female guppy for nearly two weeks now. When I first got her, I thought she was pregnant. I posted photos of her to the breeding fish board, and two people agreed that they thought she was pregnant as well and that her babies should be arriving within a few days. Two weeks later, still no fry. Now, this is my first time having guppies (and actually any female fish at all), so I have no experience when it comes to this. However, she has a very dark gravid spot and, to me, a very boxy appearance. Every day I watch her behavior and appearance. Every day she looks the same. She eats a lot and is probably the most active fish in the tank. She doesn’t seem to be guarding any area, in fact, she’s all over the place.
So... given it’s been nearly two weeks.... is it possible she’s not pregnant at all? I don’t mind if there are no babies coming, but I’m also starting to worry that if she is pregnant she is not giving birth for some reason and that that may cause her harm. Or, maybe it’s just not time yet.
(Sorry the pictures aren’t the greatest, and excuse the Honey Gourami who really wanted his photo taken as well)

Attachments

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Scales protruding from the body any? At this point I’d be worried it’s bloat. Either way I’d move her to a qt if possible.

trinity28

Valued Member
Reaction score
She doesn’t have any protruding scales. If it is bloat, what do I need to do to help her? Besides putting her in a quarantine tank?

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ehhh that’s a tough one because bloat is usually a symptom vs an actual disease. If there are no noticeable scales protruding (pineconing) then that’s a start. Again maybe some time away from the gourami will set her at ease. Ime parasites were the usual culprits of pregnant looking females that never gave birth. So I’d move her to a quiet tank to herself and observe a few days keeping the water quality spot on and a little aquarium salt for good measure

H Farnsworth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd let her go another week. If you look below the face on the bottom side you'll notice guppies round near the front when they are about to give birth. 3rd pic looks like that could be about to happen.

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree, dont think its bloat, she def looks prego but not quite ready to give birth. I takes around a month from when they get preg to give birth. Its kinda hard to tell exactly when theyll have babies until she starts hiding or being still.

H Farnsworth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
and on top of that you might not see the babies for another week after that depending on how heavily decorated the tank is

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A pregnancy of a guppy may take between 3-6 weeks. Most will have a gestation period of about 4 weeks. But again, it can be shorter or even longer. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Looking at the pictures, she looks pregnant but it may take a bit longer before she's due.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom